Buy Uke on Kauai?

Shastastan

Reaction score
We just completed our reservations, yesterday, for a 10 day stay on Kauai in May. I've read a bunch of posts on here about buying ukes there--some favorable and some not so favorable. I'm thinking of getting a soprano with a regular size neck. I already have a Flea with a tenor neck. I actually like the sound of the Flea.

I don't care if the uke is made on Kauai, but I would like to get one made in Hawaii. I read that there are a number that are made in China. I don't have anything against quality ukes made in China, but I never would buy a Chinese made "cheapo." OTOH, I can't afford an $1800 uke nor would it be justified for my playing level. If I could find a decent one for around $400, new or used, in a shop on Kauai, that would make a nice souvenir. Does anyone have any suggestions of a place to look there? I've been thinking about a Pono. Thanks for any comments.

Stan

I would say you should look at Scotty's Music store in Kalaheo and Larry's Music in Kapa'a. They seem to have the largest selection on the island, though Larry's stocks mainly their own brand, Kamoa. Larry's also has a second location called Ukulele Store in Koloa as well. That one seems to usually have ukes other than just the Kamoa ones.

Thanks a heap! That's just the info I need. I should be able to find something with 3 stores to choose from.

I would say you should look at Scotty's Music store in Kalaheo and Larry's Music in Kapa'a. They seem to have the largest selection on the island, though Larry's stocks mainly their own brand, Kamoa. Larry's also has a second location called Ukulele Store in Koloa as well. That one seems to usually have ukes other than just the Kamoa ones.

Those were the ones I went to on a recent trip to Kauai as well. +1

Top Bottom