Unwound low g concert set

Peter Jones

Reaction score
Low G string sets for concert uke

Hi all,

I am new to playing uke and have recently bought a Kala KA concert. The strings on the Kala are high g and I'd like to swap them for a low g set. What experiences do you have with using low g sets on your concert uke? Did you have to widen the nut slot to accommodate the low g string?

Thanks

Last edited:
I didn't change the nut for my Kala long neck soprano, with unwound low g tuning. It works fine.

–Lori

No problem on the Kala (KA-C) with low-g Living Waters. I've done that already.

I have Worth Brown mediums (low g) on my Ohana concert and they sound great? No problem with the nut either.

I find the Worth low G (not wound) strings a little floppy and lacking (maybe a little dull sounding) as compared to a wound G string.
I've had good luck with Oasis and Savarez wound guitar strings as low G (4th) strings.

Has anyone tried the PhD low g set on a concert? I just got a 1950s Harmony concert and I'm thinking it wants to be low G, but don't want to adjust the nut to commit to it long-term.

I tried throwing an old C string on just because I didn't have a low G. It didn't seem to want to fit in the slot of the nut, but I didn't try to force it. I guess I'll have to get a real low G to try, since the intonation on that experiment was terrible. They were stock nylon strings, though, so I have no idea what brand.

I've been playing for about a year, but I haven't gotten too adventurous with trying different strings yet.

Would the nut slot need to be adjusted to accommodate a wound g string?

Would the nut slot need to be adjusted to accommodate a wound g string?

I don't own a Kala so impossible for me to say for sure. Probably not though. You can purchase a Low G string separately for around $3. Get one and hold it up to the slot. Don't force it but if it slides right in, you're good. If not, try an unwound Low G. They are cheap too!

Depends on what slot is there now. But, if it needed to be widened, if you are brave, I have found that a metal nail file
is a good width for slowly and slightly widening a slot.

Thanks, good tip. I guess the danger is that if it's too wide there might be a buzzing sound?

Thanks, good tip. I guess the danger is that if it's too wide there might be a buzzing sound?

A couple things about using a nail file.

1. Do not make the slot deeper, only slightly wider. Deeper may cause buzzing and intonation problems.

2. A string normally approaches the nut slot at an angle (from the tuning peg) causing the string to have more pressure on one side of the slot. In the case of the fourth string, that is normally the treble side of the slot. Consequently, when filing to widen the slot, try to file the opposite side. In this example it would be the bass side of the slot. In any case you want to file the opposite side from the string entrance and only file just enough to make it fit.

Don't widen the nut unless you are sure you like low g on that uke. Make sure you don't change anything unless it needs it. I have played ukes with the string sitting on top of the nut, and everything was fine, intonation... etc. Changing the width of the nut might change your intonation.

–Lori

Top Bottom