Help with buzzing string!

JayJay

Reaction score
The C string on my ukulele is buzzing so badly that its unplayable. At first I though it was a problem with the nut but after tuning and retuning it I noticed that the buzzing stopped when the peg was held down. Because of this I'm pretty sure its a problem with the tuner. Also the headstock seems to rattle when I shake it but I'm not sure if its relevant to the problem.

Right now I'm using some electrical plier clamp thingy as a fix. Its actually growing on me but i would really like something more permanent :p

Thanks in advance!

10zn13s.jpg

I think it looks fine just the way it is! ;) Still two more weeks to submit that to the Bling Fo' Yo' Thing contest!

Is the knob/button on the tuner rattling, or is it the gear, or any of the little bushings that hold it on? Take a screwdriver and (gently!) tighten any exposed screws, and see if it makes a difference. If not, try (gently) tightening the hex-shaped bushing on the front of the headstock with some pliers.

I had a mega buzz in my C and A strings...and i coulda sworn it came from all sorts of places but it did end up being the nut...I used a file to VERY slowly (LITTLE by LITTLE) deepen the groove and it went away...But this uke came that way, if yours has developed it then i bet you are right about the hardware, i would do the same, tighten the hardware carefully...Or take it to a guitar shop they could likely fix it for less that 20 dollars or giv eyou pointers...

Thanks for your responses! I've been busy with semester finals so I haven't had much free time to check the forums.

To Haole:
I'm not really sure where the rattling is coming from besides that it is coming from the headstock :confused:. I've tried tightening the screws so I night try tightening the hex shaped things as soon as I can find some pliers.

To bornagainjeeper:
If I can't find a fix for the problem soon then I might take your advice and find a guitar or music shop somewhere close by.

Thanks again! :D

by what your saying it seems to be a tuning peg problem and not a string problem! plus the camp your using obviously applies pressure to the tuner so therefore the rattling is reduced or totally relinquished? Try taking that peg off then put a peg in its place and pick the string to c if it works. best of luck to you!

ALSO TIGHTEN THE SCRE ON THE TOP OF THE PEG AS WELL AS THE ONE ON THE HANDLE! before you take it off. c if that helps!

Top Bottom