PDA

View Full Version : Western red cedar & maple tenor

Kokkeli91
10-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Just started my first tenor ukulele this Monday and I thought to share some pics as the project makes progress. This one is going to be my third ukulele so far and I can't wait to see how it turns out! :) I'm still learning so if you have any thoughts on how to make this instrument as good as possible, feel free to share them! :)59530595315953259533

Kevdog
10-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Looks really clean- cedar top with a maple B/S is a great wood combo-

Nice work-

Kokkeli91
10-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks Kevdog! This ukulele will also have ebony bindings, fingerboard, bridge and headplate.

dustartist
10-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Does Festool make a vacuum for the clamping press or is that something else?

dustartist
10-10-2013, 09:09 PM
VAC SYS! Not offered in the USA catalog...

Kokkeli91
11-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Yes dustartist it is a festool vacuum table system :D Sorry to hear that it is not offered in the USA. :( Gluing the braces with the vacuum press is super easy and actually quite fun! :) It is a really neat thing to have around when building acoustic instruments. I also have to apologize my absence with this project. I meant to upload a lot of pictures of my progress but after the first week my internet connection went down! Now I have been coping without internet for about a month and the ukulele is almost finished :D Tomorrow i'll be spraying the last coats of polyurethane and then the ukulele will be hung for about a week before the buffing and assembly.

lauburu
11-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Note to self:
To complete ukuleles in a month, switch off the Internet. :)
Miguel

rem50
11-10-2013, 01:44 PM
beautiful work!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Very nice work! You're the first amateur builder I've seen that has positioned the apex of the fan braces in the correct location (IMO anyway). Most make the tallest part of the brace to be over the center of the bridge, whereas I'm of the opinion that the stiffest part of the fan braces needs to be midway between the saddle location and the lower sound hole brace. That's the area that wants to cave in. Maybe others will comment.

Kokkeli91
11-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Indeed Miguel! I might try this technique a second time too to see if the lack of internet really was the booster for the project.. :D Thank you rem50 and Chuck! It is nice to hear that my bracing isn't probably going to backfire.. :D It really means a lot to me to hear these kind words from especially you Chuck. You were one of the main reasons why I started to take interest in the ukulele world. Really love your work! :)

bigphil
11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Very nice work! You're the first amateur builder I've seen that has positioned the apex of the fan braces in the correct location (IMO anyway). Most make the tallest part of the brace to be over the center of the bridge, whereas I'm of the opinion that the stiffest part of the fan braces needs to be midway between the saddle location and the lower sound hole brace. That's the area that wants to cave in. Maybe others will comment.

Chuck it is things like this that is the very reason us amateur builders frequent this forum. I made my bracing exactly incorrectly as you said believing the strongest part needed to be under the bridge. Not realizing that my assumption was incorrect I had no reason to ask about this kind of detail. But your observation helps anyone who is just paying attention. I've said it before, this place is great!

Kokkeli91
12-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Finally done! I actually finished this one over a week ago but had some serious problems with trying to get these photos uploaded.. But anyway here it is and I hope you like it as much as I do! :)

jcalkin
12-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Looks pretty sweet, indeed.

Kevdog
12-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Finally done! I actually finished this one over a week ago but had some serious problems with trying to get these photos uploaded.. But anyway here it is and I hope you like it as much as I do! :)

Beautiful job! Congratulations!

SeaArtNancy
12-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Lovely job!!!! I cant wait to see the tenor during it's process- thanks for sharing!

rem50
12-01-2013, 11:49 AM
that is beautiful! I am so jealous of all you craftsman. Someday I am going to give it a go.

soulman
12-02-2013, 01:20 AM
looks great, nice finish. What strings Have you used?

Kokkeli91
12-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone! It is very encouraging to hear such nice comments about my work. I will surely keep on building more of these :) rem50 you should definitely give it a go! Creating something with your own hands is extremely rewarding and I recommend it to everyone who feels that they might have what it takes to make one :) Soulman, at first I had Aquila Nylgut strings but for some reason those did not quite work for me. Then I switched to ghs originals and those played better. Especially the wound string seemed to have more punch and depth than the non-wound Aquila string.

ksquine
12-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Looks very nice. I like that fingerboard extension

bbycrts
12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
A little late on the uptake here, but I'm so happy to see Chuck's comments about the bracing! I checked the Hana Lima 'Ia plan that I have on my wall - they specify the brace to be symmetrical. That is, designed exactly the way Chuck points out as not correct - thickest part under the bridge. Yet what Chuck says makes perfect sense - the stress isn't so much telegraphed through the bridge itself but the area between it and the sound hole!

And the light goes off!

:bowdown: Thanks so much for comments like this, Chuck!

(and what a beauty of a uke to Kokkeli91!)