Acoustic Electric Ukes...?

commandercup

Reaction score
Will an Acoustic only uke and an Acoustic Electric uke at the same price point sound the same? Is there a reason to buy an only acoustic uke?

Will an Acoustic only uke and an Acoustic Electric uke at the same price point sound the same? Is there a reason to buy an only acoustic uke?

i think it depends of the sound of the wood or material used.. also on some electric ukes, you want to plug in to check the sound.. sometimes it only really picks up the two middle strings.. but thats just on some..

There's plenty of reasons. You don't NEED a pickup, you can always mike you Uke. Or most of us don't perform live so we dont need a pickup.

And as far as the price point, it depends. Are they made with the same meterials by the maker? If so, they should sound the same, but I can't imagine them being the same price. Ukes with pickups are usually a bit more costly.

I have an electric acoustic, and playing it without an amp does not sound as full as an acoustic. i dont know if that makes any sense haha. i think it is the wood

i have one.. for sale!..lol
but i like acoustic only uke better, thats just me:x

Acoustic or acoustic/electric ukes.

I just bought an acoustic/electric ukulele and even though it sounds pretty good I'm sure a good acoustic would sound better than the acoustic/electric played acousticly.
Ron

The same identical uke will always cost more with a pickup because, of course, the pickup costs money (a really decent one can cost a good $150). On a guitar, the pickup makes minimal if any difference to the unamplified sound, but on a uke, it makes more of a distance simply because the box of electronics takes a greater percentage of the space in the body. I can't say for sure how much difference it makes to the acoustic tone, but on the one hand, I've played electro-acoustic ukes that sounded fine unplugged, but on the other hand, I played a Hamano soprano with a pickup which was very quiet unplugged, whereas people on the Cosmos say that Hamanos are if anything quite loud normally. YMMV.

Top Bottom