12 fret vs 14 fret concerts

Not even a contest to me...not only due to the the ukelele's already-limited range, but access to the upper notes and more choices in chording is an asset.

Even on sopranos, the "longneck" models are nice, despite the short space between the upper frets. I actually prefer tenors, mostly because fingering gets tight even on a concert when at the higher frets, but no way I'd choose a 12-fret model. Even with Fleas and Flukes, I prefer the (concert neck) Flea over the Fluke because of the body design on the Fluke making the upper frets harder to get at.

I am a short woman with correspondingly small hands, and I have no problem reaching past the fret at the join to reach the ones on the body. I seldom go past twelve, anyway. I thought it was a big deal before, but I only had a uke with 12 frets total. Now, I like having more than 12 but it doesn't matter where the frets are. Not that I regret buying a 14-fret-to-the-body concert, I just know that for me it doesn't really matter.

As a strummer, I prefer 12 or 13 (rare) to the body soprano or concert.
Were I using more inversions (esp 3rd and 4th position chords) I might change my mind. :)

Keep uke'in',

Thx all. In guitardom the 12 fret offers a bigger sound as the bridge is located further back on the top. Those classical guys dont seem to run out of notes. Then again they have 2 xtra strings.

As a picker I prefer 14 frets to the body. Easier access to higher frets used in complex arrangements. ;)

Great MyaMoe-Link, thanks! :D

I didn't know I had opinion until last week. I bought a GString concert off of the emporium last week and I'm not crazy about the neck joining at the 14th fret. For me, it loses the concert feel and makes it harder to hold while playing. I'm going to give it a little longer to see if I adjust. I really hope I do; it sounds great with looks to match.

Top Bottom