New (old) ukulele day!!!

therinkydinktink

Reaction score
It's nice when you go to the local ukulele club and the lady you helped with the split stroke the time before corners you before the start, hands you a bag and says this is for you!S1052716.jpgS1052717.jpgS1052718.jpgS1052721.jpg

A 1928 (so I'm informed) John Grey and Sons concert ukulele banjo!

It's not exactly a gift (My conscience wouldn't let me just take it) but we're gonna work something out as she knows how much I've wanted one and because I help out at the club! It has tuning pegs rather than machine heads and they need updating or servicing (advice welcome!), as it's not staying in tune but the strings are fairly new but I change anything until we've worked out the details and it's officially mine! :drool:

Yeah I was just reading your thread on your Salvation army $5 find. I've also been offered a Musima which I should get for £60 which just needs a bridge and strings (and a bit of restoration but just on the finish!)

Very cool, I love the headstock.....enjoy!

As for the tuners, there is no reason you can't make them work great. Just don't expect them to be like geared tuners....but a bit of rehab and they can work well again I'm sure. I have fixed at least 20 sets of vintage tuners so that they work smoothly. If you do a search, you can find a lot of info on how to give the tuners a "tune up".

Thanks RyanMFT, I don't really want to change the tuners on it and did think that a service or tune up may help, they are exceptionally stiff at the moment and the slightest movement changes the note a helluva lot!

It sounds like she gave you a gift comparable to the one you gave her. I think you're even!

Top Bottom