Confidence

Of course! You need confidence just to play it without messing up! :rofl:

Mike I know just what you mean, man. I was a wierd antisocial dude when I started because I didn't really feel good at anything. Then I started playing guitar and bass, started performing in front of a lot of people, and got told how good it sounded. Not any more good than any other musician, but you know. It just boosted my confidence to high levels. Almost too high.. these days I'm almost too sure of myself sometimes. Now I play Uke, and that takes even more confidence. You're taking this small instument infront of people and you got to play it well enough to make people believe in it. I dunno, can't really explain it better. But I totally know what you're saying.

It thrilled me, that's for sure.

As far as confidence...yeah, I guess it did. More confidence in my ability to express without talent than anything else. I think it's what finally let me try my hand at painting like I've always wanted.

It taught me this: The key to art is not being "good" but sucking boldly and honestly.

i would say yes. but the alcohol really helps too.

sesso and adelle gave me encouragement to attempt songwriting. something i would never have tried prior to visiting this website and hearing all the great original music by some of the members.

other than that, nothing like drunken karaoke to bring out the best/worst in you.;)

I never thought I'd willingly appear in a Youtube video until I joined UU. And this is after playing other instruments for years. I've battled social anxiety disorder and other similarly terrible things since I was 12, and I can honestly say that the UU community is helping me conquer my fear of playing in front of people and appearing on the internets. I know I've only posted one video so far, but it's a huge step and you guys have no idea how much it means to me to finally post something I've made. One day I hope to become as shameless as deach.

I still haven't worked up enough confidence to do a YouTube video. :eek: But playing the uke has definitely given me more confidence with singing in front of people. My friend has even asked me to bring out the uke and sing at her wedding reception!

Please do. Then you can paint yourself red and appear half nekkid in a collaboration with me.

...that was to Haole. lol

Last edited:
Playing the ukulele has given me confidence. When I first started I was afraid of playing in front of people... I still have a fear of playing in front of an audience but I am more confident now...

I had originally planned to say it hasn't made me more confident, but after giving it some thought, I would've been dead wrong.

Before the ukulele, I wasn't near as open about my creative endeavours. I would upload things, sure, but I wouldn't advertise them at all. I simply put them out there for people to stumble upon at random. I think I've finally broken that habit.

I'm still a little sheepish about telling some people I play ukulele. Maybe it's because deep down I don't think I'm that good at it. Or maybe it's because most people where I live would laugh and assume it's not an instrument but a stupid toy.

My classmate overheard me singing in art class yesterday. (I bring my uke to school, I was playing Is There a Place) I realized she pointed it out to everyone else, because everyone was looking at me when I finished..........

I wanted to crawl under a rock :(

Hasn't given me more confidence at all. I'm basically terrified to play for anyone. I tried playing for some friends and my husband. It didn't go so well and they weren't too nice about it. So now I'm pretty gun-shy about it. I'm trying to learn how to make a video but deep down I'm afraid it wont be "perfect" so I think "why bother?'" I'm not sure what to do about the whole thing either. I guess I'll just keep practicing and see what happens. It's too fun not to play.

Hasn't given me more confidence at all. I'm basically terrified to play for anyone. I tried playing for some friends and my husband. It didn't go so well and they weren't too nice about it. So now I'm pretty gun-shy about it. I'm trying to learn how to make a video but deep down I'm afraid it wont be "perfect" so I think "why bother?'" I'm not sure what to do about the whole thing either. I guess I'll just keep practicing and see what happens. It's too fun not to play.
Sukie, don't play for your husband again, nothing more hurtful and damaging than a non-supportive spouse. Find some other uke players in your area, if you can't find them, create them. Teach a couple open minded friends 3 notes and play away. Create you're own uke jam and meet in a stress-free location and have fun. I'm currently teaching 3 friends and having a blast.

Does anyone find that playing the ukulele and/or singing has given them more confidence?

i have always had confidence! :D haha! plus you play real nice mellow songs and chicks digg it! always get a nice little smile! (either the mellow song or my stunning good looks! must be the looks!) jkjk

Top Bottom