Room hygrometer touse

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm looking for a room hygrometer for my music room. I've read the various previous threads and they left me somewhat confused on which one to buy. It sounds like there are so many with faulty readings; esp. the Planet /Waves model

I'd like to get one that I can hang on the wall or standup. Not looking for a case hygrometer. One thread mentioned getting a certified hygrometer but didn't mention any brands. Would like to stay under 100. dollars if possible but can go more if needed to protct my instruments.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Hey Pat..

you don't need a hygrometer in Hawaii,as the RH is ok even though it swings from 40's to 70's in a few hours...
but I do have a Planet Waves in the room that I practice in...just for my peace of mind...

it works fine...for me
I heard you can get ones that work well at indoor garden shops...

I have one of the indoor/ outdoor models from La Crosse Technology. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=70127&cat=2,42191

You can leave the outdoor sensor in the room also to provide a "second opinion" as hygrometers of any sort are often off calibration by a bit. I also recommend when you first get one, putting it in a plastic bag with a wet sponge (or take it into a steamy bathroom) to verify that it responds to changes.

There is a thing called a dry bulb thermometer which does not cost a lot and needs no batteries to operate.

Actually both wet and dry bulb thermometer is required, but Bill is right, this is the most accurate way to determine RH. Not very convenient perhaps but accurate.

Top Bottom