PDA

View Full Version : Pineapples: Any Good?

hucklelele
10-06-2013, 11:15 PM
How are pineapple shaped ukes?

What is the sound like compared to standard?
Do they have more or less cubic space inside, compared to other models in the same class?

How are they to hold while playing? Is it at all awkward?

And what are some good ones, not terribly expensive?

PhilUSAFRet
10-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Generally, a little more volume, sound chamber a little larger. Some folks find them hard to hold, some don't Not sure what "not terribly expensive" means. If it's within your budget, the KPK solid acacia pineapple is "killer" and they are coming out with a concert necked pineapple very soon. In a recent sound test, many listeners rated them better sounding that a similar K uke. Quite a few happy KPK owners here. I have a concert and it sounds awesome. Nice, loud, woody ring to it. Sounds like it costs many hundreds of dollars more.

For $155, this is the deal to beat. http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/koa-pili-koko-ukulele/

Kayak Jim
10-07-2013, 02:34 AM
I have the Mainland cedar top long neck soprano that cost about $235. Don't find it difficult to hold and it is LOUD.

rem50
10-07-2013, 03:57 AM
I too think the pineapples are loud and mellow (at least the ones I played). That shape is why I own the ukes I do, a boat paddle "kayak" and a Koaloha "sceptre". I do not find them difficult to hold at all. From what I have played at NC Ukulele Academy, I would look into the mainland also. They seem to have consistent sound and are reasonably priced.

RyanMFT
10-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Holding a pineapple isn't any different than holding a figure 8 shaped ukulele, I don't understand why this perception is still out there.

Pineapples have been around for the better part of 80 years, they are great. Sound is usually a little fuller. Mainland is an excellent suggestion.

UkerDanno
10-07-2013, 05:04 AM
I have a Luna Tattoo, I just got it because it's different and cool looking. It is a little different to hold, my problem is that I use a strap that hooks into the sound hole and it doesn't work with the pineapple, because it has no waist to stabilize the strap. It was around $70, Lanikai has some under $100 also.

Chris Tarman
10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
I have a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple soprano that I love. It sounds great and is beautiful. I've never had a problem holding it, but I did loan it to a woman and she had a tough time with it. Then again, she'd never played any other uke. I let her borrow a standard shaped one later, and she didn't have the same problem. That's my sole experience with that issue.

Cheeso
10-07-2013, 06:37 AM
My pineapple is not good, it's great!

I have a KoAloha pineapple and it has a sweet sound and it is loud. It's the same as holding any other uke.

"Terribly expensive" is a subjective term. I paid $550 for it new and I find that a real bargain.

janeray1940
10-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Holding a pineapple isn't any different than holding a figure 8 shaped ukulele, I don't understand why this perception is still out there.

My understanding is that, um, it's a girl thing :)

That being said, despite my girl-ness I don't notice any difference in holding a pineapple (my favorite go-to uke) vs. a figure-8 - but then I put straps on all of my ukes so I have one less thing to think about when I'm playing, as I can use all the help I can get!

RichM
10-07-2013, 06:46 AM
They're sweet, juicy, and loaded with antioxidants.

hibiscus
10-07-2013, 07:34 AM
My pineapple is fantastic!

SailingUke
10-07-2013, 08:23 AM

girls or pineapples ?

That being said, despite my girl-ness I don't notice any difference in holding a pineapple (my favorite go-to uke) vs. a figure-8 - but then I put straps on all of my ukes so I have one less thing to think about when I'm playing, as I can use all the help I can get!

My lady friend just got a pineapple ukulele because she found it easier to hold without a strap.

wayfarer75
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM

I didn't notice a difference with a soprano pineapple vs a figure 8. But I think I would have more problems with a concert or tenor size pineapple.

Chris Tarman
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
My pineapple is fantastic!

Wow! That's gorgeous!

ryanshanabarger
10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Not a cheapie, but this is the only pineapple i've ever owned, and I'll never look back!

mm stan
10-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Pineapples offer a bigger inside cavity to give more volume and punch of a size bigger uke...some love them, however they maybe hard to hold because of their shape....I prefer the
regular shape the best....it would not be my primary ukulele per say...

hibiscus
10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
(Thank you, Chris~ sounds beautiful, too).

Penguin Vic
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Pineapples are great! I have an Ohana soprano and take it everywhere. They're pretty cheap for an all solid uke too.

RyanMFT
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
OK, I did a formal experiment. I asked my wife, who is very girly, to hold my Kamaka Pineapple, and compare it to a figure 8 ukulele. She confirmed that for her, because of certain female body parts, a figure 8 "fits" between better.

I stand corrected!

localmana
10-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Great post, Ryan.
Aloha,
Alan

fernandogardinali
10-08-2013, 03:38 AM
I really love my Kamaka Pineapple - it was the only K brand uke that remained after the downsizing. I like it because it has a fuller sound, almost like a Concert uke, very different than my Martin, but with the nicer soprano scale. Also, it's one of the few sopranos that actually sound good tuned gCEA for my ears.

My girlfriend, who's a uke player as well, never any issues playing my Kamaka Pineapple. The only uke she had trouble holding while standing was the Fluke (no problems with the flea, though).

ryanshanabarger
10-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Okay, I confess that I am confused about this "easier to hold" business.... The 'proper' way to hold a uke (tongue in cheek there) is to press the body against your own using the right forearm on the space beneath the bridge... Right? And this space is no different on a pineapple than on a 'normal' figure 8......... Generally speaking the "sides" of the ukulele are not involved in the holding of the uke. So it shouldn't be different right?

Look at the picture below. The "sides" of the uke, which is the main difference we're talking about between a pineapple and a figure 8, are not being touched at all. Whether those dips in the figure 8 are filled in or not makes no difference.

And if you find a figure 8 more comfortable "as a woman"... Then I feel like you would have to hold that figure 8 at a weird place to rest your... own instruments in the uke's dip. Which is... Hardly an argument lol.

Radio Flyer
10-08-2013, 06:41 AM
i think a lot of people hold their ukes a little higher than you show, maybe it's not classic correct but it happens. when cantaloupes and pineapples collide somethings gotta give!

Freeda
10-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Okay, I confess that I am confused about this "easier to hold" business.... The 'proper' way to hold a uke (tongue in cheek there) is to press the body against your own using the right forearm on the space beneath the bridge... Right? And this space is no different on a pineapple than on a 'normal' figure 8......... Generally speaking the "sides" of the ukulele are not involved in the holding of the uke. So it shouldn't be different right?

Look at the picture below. The "sides" of the uke, which is the main difference we're talking about between a pineapple and a figure 8, are not being touched at all. Whether those dips in the figure 8 are filled in or not makes no difference.

And if you find a figure 8 more comfortable "as a woman"... Then I feel like you would have to hold that figure 8 at a weird place to rest your... own instruments in the uke's dip. Which is... Hardly an argument lol.

I hold my uke much higher than you show, in order to keep my tendinitis prone wrists in the most neutral position possible.

I use pineapples almost exclusively. And I hold them on my melons. ;)

ryanshanabarger
10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Okay, the 'height' of that doesn't really matter lol. Whether it's two inches from your chin, or two inches from your knees, the point is that the sides of the uke aren't meant to be involved in the 'holding'. If you just happen to like resting your boob in the grove of a figure 8 uke, that's good for you lol, but that doesn't mean that pineapples, in general, are harder to hold. So I maintain my confusion :p

Freeda
10-08-2013, 07:23 AM
You are thinking of height on a flat plane. Boobs have angles, for lack of a better term. There's also the increased tension needed to hold the uke (and boob) flat to your body.

ryanshanabarger
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Well all I can say is that I'm glad my choice of instrument doesn't depend upon my cup size. lol

RichM
10-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I hold my uke much higher than you show, in order to keep my tendinitis prone wrists in the most neutral position possible.

I use pineapples almost exclusively. And I hold them on my melons. ;)

I could really go for some fruit salad right now. Could anyone else really go for some fruit salad?

Leodhas
10-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I agree! These sweet, luscious, kind fruits shouldn't be bound and strung, then played without thought or feeling by portly gentlemen in Hawaiian shirts, It's an outrage!

hibiscus
10-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread! lol

Radio Flyer
10-08-2013, 04:05 PM
we're getting off the original question...how are they to hold while playing, is it all awkward? and...what are some good ones, not terribly expensive? your turn hibiscus!

Freeda
10-08-2013, 04:34 PM
we're getting off the original question...how are they to hold while playing, is it all awkward? and...what are some good ones, not terribly expensive? your turn hibiscus!

How are pineapple shaped ukes?

What is the sound like compared to standard?
Do they have more or less cubic space inside, compared to other models in the same class?

How are they to hold while playing? Is it at all awkward?

And what are some good ones, not terribly expensive?

The answers are, as always with ukes, it depends, it depends, it depends.

SOME sound "bigger" than a comparably sized standard shape. Some don't.

SOME are measurably bigger on the inside than a comparably sized standard shape. Some aren't.

SOME people (and gender IS a factor) will find them awkward to hold. Some won't. Or they'll find SOME pineapples awkward and others not.

And, as always, everyone has a different idea of what is good, and what constitutes expensive.

I personally like my Luna pineapple, at a sub-$100 price point, but some people don't care for them. However, I think most will agree that you can't really go wrong getting a Mainland cedar pineapple for solid quality at a mid/low price point.

janeray1940
10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
The answers are, as always with ukes, it depends, it depends, it depends.

Well said!

As for a recommendation - I love love LOVE my Kamaka HP-1 pineapple, but I do realize that some would consider that "expensive." I recently played an Ohana concert pineapple (http://www.theukulelesite.com/ohana-concert-pineapple.html) like this one and was amazed at how great it sounded and how well it played, and that uke has a much smaller price tag.

But back to "it depends" - the Ohana I played may have been a stellar example of one (i've noticed huge inconsistencies in factory ukes). Or it may have sounded good to my ear and played well in my little stubby hands, but maybe another person might disagree. So if you can - get out there and shop around and try them out!

dsummers
10-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I have a Kamaka concert scale, spruce top, Koa b/s, ebony fretboard/ headstock, a Koaloha concert scale all Koa, and a David Gill concert body pineapples and I love them all!

cigarfan
10-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I just recently acquired my pineapple and I like it. I don't find it any more awkward to hold (I'm a guitar player so I find most ukes a little awkward to hold). Mine has a different sound profile than the rest I have. Very bright and punchy. But then I'm still learning how to get the best sound out of it.

Kayouker
01-07-2014, 05:11 AM

Look at the picture below. The "sides" of the uke, which is the main difference we're talking about between a pineapple and a figure 8, are not being touched at all. Whether those dips in the figure 8 are filled in or not makes no difference. And if you find a figure 8 more comfortable "as a woman"... Then I feel like you would have to hold that figure 8 at a weird place to rest your... own instruments in the uke's dip. Which is... Hardly an argument lol.

My dear small breasted (and perhaps, minded) philosopher: clearly you speak from a breast challenged, penile-centered perspective. I can assure you that my lovely and extremely voluptuous partner is so proportioned that a pineapple interferes noticeably and for her, quite uncomfortably insofar as both "holding" and playing her lovely feminine-shaped instrument.

PereBourik
01-07-2014, 05:32 AM
I have a Luna Tattoo, I just got it because it's different and cool looking. It is a little different to hold, my problem is that I use a strap that hooks into the sound hole and it doesn't work with the pineapple, because it has no waist to stabilize the strap. It was around $70, Lanikai has some under $100 also.

Just run the strap sideways around the heel of the neck. It'll work fine.

ryanshanabarger
01-07-2014, 05:37 AM
My dear small breasted (and perhaps, minded) philosopher: clearly you speak from a breast challenged, penile-centered perspective. I can assure you that my lovely and extremely voluptuous partner is so proportioned that a pineapple interferes noticeably and for her, quite uncomfortably insofar as both "holding" and playing her lovely feminine-shaped instrument.

Well I don't want to argue it. I just hope everyone finds a ukulele that they can love and enjoy -- and I hope very much that women won't read this and not try a Pineapple.

wayfarer75
01-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Well I don't want to argue it. I just hope everyone finds a ukulele that they can love and enjoy -- and I hope very much that women won't read this and not try a Pineapple.

The question is how high up does the woman hold the uke? Not all women ukers hold their instruments the same way. I only play sitting down, and hold my ukes low. So when I tried out a soprano pineapple, I found that its shape was not even remotely a problem for me, which I had sort of suspected. Another woman might not feel the same way. So it all depends. If a lady uke player wants to know for sure before she commits to something expensive, there are often soprano pineapples in the big box stores to try out in person and see if there's any discomfort.

ukulelearp
01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
When I played a Koaloha soprano side by side with the soprano pineapple, I noticed that the pineapple sounded much better strumming. The chords sounded clearer and more "together." At the same time, it didn't sound as good fingerpicking, as the notes seemed to blend together too much and weren't as focused as the normal soprano.

coolkayaker1
01-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Although I have said, myself, that the pineapples have more bass range than traditional figured instruments, I will admit: blindfolded and facing a wall, I would not wager my bread pudding dessert that I could tell the difference.

Here's my two babies, courtesy of Char, Aaron and Gordon, the fantastic luthiers at Ohana.
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=1131

DaleR
01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
There is definitely a difference in sound from the pina. I would say it has a more compact "punch"
to the tone...a brighter sound.

Peterjens
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
1978 Kamaka pineapple soprano - mellow but rich and low. Love to play hapa haole music on it.

Manalishi
01-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Shopped around for a couple of years ,to get a pineapple ,to make my varied collection a bit more varied;long story short,maybe I got a bad one,but I never bonded with it.It was loud enough,bright enough,intonation and action were all fine,I just never really got on with it! So I sold it on to a lady who had coveted it since I got it.She is completely happy with it,may be it was just the particular model I got,that was 'wrong' for me? I will certainly try out any that I come across in the future,and may find one,one day,that 'speaks to me'!

JordanK
01-08-2014, 07:24 AM
I love my KoAloha Pineapple Soprano. Awesome uke! Light as a feather and just hums when you play it.

Jordan.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/11820815613_9b04eec2bc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jekalpin/11820815613/)
New Koaloha Papple (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jekalpin/11820815613/) by jordankalpin (http://www.flickr.com/people/jekalpin/), on Flickr

jjj
01-08-2014, 09:21 AM
So is the jury in regarding the nonexistence of baritone pineapples? Would love to find one (real wood, no laminate)