Pineapples: Any Good?

hucklelele

Reaction score
How are pineapple shaped ukes?

What is the sound like compared to standard?
Do they have more or less cubic space inside, compared to other models in the same class?

How are they to hold while playing? Is it at all awkward?

And what are some good ones, not terribly expensive?

Generally, a little more volume, sound chamber a little larger. Some folks find them hard to hold, some don't Not sure what "not terribly expensive" means. If it's within your budget, the KPK solid acacia pineapple is "killer" and they are coming out with a concert necked pineapple very soon. In a recent sound test, many listeners rated them better sounding that a similar K uke. Quite a few happy KPK owners here. I have a concert and it sounds awesome. Nice, loud, woody ring to it. Sounds like it costs many hundreds of dollars more.

For $155, this is the deal to beat. http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/koa-pili-koko-ukulele/

Last edited:
I too think the pineapples are loud and mellow (at least the ones I played). That shape is why I own the ukes I do, a boat paddle "kayak" and a Koaloha "sceptre". I do not find them difficult to hold at all. From what I have played at NC Ukulele Academy, I would look into the mainland also. They seem to have consistent sound and are reasonably priced.

Holding a pineapple isn't any different than holding a figure 8 shaped ukulele, I don't understand why this perception is still out there.

Pineapples have been around for the better part of 80 years, they are great. Sound is usually a little fuller. Mainland is an excellent suggestion.

I have a Luna Tattoo, I just got it because it's different and cool looking. It is a little different to hold, my problem is that I use a strap that hooks into the sound hole and it doesn't work with the pineapple, because it has no waist to stabilize the strap. It was around $70, Lanikai has some under $100 also.
IMG_1466.jpg

I have a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple soprano that I love. It sounds great and is beautiful. I've never had a problem holding it, but I did loan it to a woman and she had a tough time with it. Then again, she'd never played any other uke. I let her borrow a standard shaped one later, and she didn't have the same problem. That's my sole experience with that issue.

My pineapple is not good, it's great!

I have a KoAloha pineapple and it has a sweet sound and it is loud. It's the same as holding any other uke.

"Terribly expensive" is a subjective term. I paid $550 for it new and I find that a real bargain.

Holding a pineapple isn't any different than holding a figure 8 shaped ukulele, I don't understand why this perception is still out there.

My understanding is that, um, it's a girl thing :)

That being said, despite my girl-ness I don't notice any difference in holding a pineapple (my favorite go-to uke) vs. a figure-8 - but then I put straps on all of my ukes so I have one less thing to think about when I'm playing, as I can use all the help I can get!

My pineapple is fantastic!
ka3.jpg

They're sweet, juicy, and loaded with antioxidants.

girls or pineapples ?

That being said, despite my girl-ness I don't notice any difference in holding a pineapple (my favorite go-to uke) vs. a figure-8 - but then I put straps on all of my ukes so I have one less thing to think about when I'm playing, as I can use all the help I can get!

My lady friend just got a pineapple ukulele because she found it easier to hold without a strap.

I didn't notice a difference with a soprano pineapple vs a figure 8. But I think I would have more problems with a concert or tenor size pineapple.

Pineapples offer a bigger inside cavity to give more volume and punch of a size bigger uke...some love them, however they maybe hard to hold because of their shape....I prefer the
regular shape the best....it would not be my primary ukulele per say...

(Thank you, Chris~ sounds beautiful, too).

Pineapples are great! I have an Ohana soprano and take it everywhere. They're pretty cheap for an all solid uke too.

OK, I did a formal experiment. I asked my wife, who is very girly, to hold my Kamaka Pineapple, and compare it to a figure 8 ukulele. She confirmed that for her, because of certain female body parts, a figure 8 "fits" between better.

I stand corrected!

Top Bottom