PDA

View Full Version : water marbles as case humidifiers?

Robtjm
10-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Anyone have experience using these things called water marbles as a case humidifier? They are sold as tiny beads. If you leave them in water for a few hours, they absorb the water and swell up. As I understand it the water then slowly evaporates out of them, and when they have shrunken back down you can just rehydrate them.

I bought one package, and some small plastic containers to put them in. I have attached photos. Everything altogether cost about six dollars. Seems like a really easy and inexpensive way to keep my ukes from drying out. Anyone know a reason why I shouldn't put them in my uke cases?5956859569

vanflynn
10-07-2013, 04:24 AM
The attachments don't work. I've used water absorbing crystals you can get from a garden shop that works well
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39501-DIY-Case-Humidifier-using-polymer-moisture-crystals&highlight=water+absorb+crystal+humidifier

hent
10-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the link vanflynn. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Robtjm
10-07-2013, 06:55 AM
If you Google "water marbles" you'll get bunch of places that sell them. I bought mine at a local fair. I bought the plastic containers at a Rite Aid for 25 cents a piece.

Doc_J
10-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Here's my humidifiers, costing less than 20 cents each. I prefer a quality polymer, non-sodium based crystals,like those used in cigar humidifiers, about 1/2 a teaspoon per old medicine bottle. Use distilled water too, as it will make them last longer. (Yes, I've had my share of sick critters.)
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45495&d=1353254005

UkerDanno
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
just buy an oasis for less than $20, they are awesome and easy to use and fool proof.

RichM
10-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I think this is a better solution for in-case humidifiers than most of the commercial options. They hold a good deal of water, so you don't have to "re-soak" that often, they don't drip, so there's little risk to your case or instrument, they are easy to re-wet, and they're cheap as heck.