Vintage Martin-ear candy

bunnyf

Reaction score
Played my first vintage Martin today. I went to a local uke club and a new player, who spent her early years in Hawaii (she is a native who moved to south Mainland when she was grown), brought her soprano Martin, which she was given as a present by her family when she was 6. She's now in her sixties and has kept this uke in remarkable condition, a few minor scratches and a little hairline, barely visible crack on lower bout. The only really noticable wear was on the fretboard on the first few frets, showing deep finger indentations in the area of the first two strings. She never took lessons, just learned a few chords, from family but plays wonderfully, a very unique style of picking and strumming, with very interesting strumming patterns. Needless to say, the Martin sounded wonderful, which I expected, but beyond that, it really did stand out, even in a group. It had a wonderful sound that was very mellow for a soprano. She let me play it and it was wonderful. I am not worthy!!! BTW she had no idea what the value of her uke was, she set it down in precarious places that made me cringe. But I guess it's lasted 60 years in her care, so she's doing ok.

What a good story. Old Martins are uniquely special!

exactly, but next time you see her you may offer a little advice as to the value!?!
PS I have decided to sell the Favilla Soprano and get a Martin Soprano....just because....may even keep the Favilla for Road Trips>

Those who say they are not worthy are, by the very statement; worthy. There's something very special about a vintage Martin and that thin fast neck. I'm sure a lot of the sound came from the many years of being loved and played. Favillas' have that special sound also; just a little thicker neck.

Top Bottom