WTB: Low to mid end tenor (Mainland, Islander MT-4, Kala KA-TG, etc)

sesame

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a decent used tenor uke that will last me a while. I'd like to spend no more than about $180, but could go a bit higher. I'd strongly prefer one that had been professionally set up by a reputable place like HMS or Mim's. I like the sound and look of mahogany (laminate or solid) but would be open to considering others. Thanks!

Last edited:
At the top of your price range is this: http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id

If you are really lucky, you could find a Pono blem/refurb for around $250. I paid $259 for my 6 string refurb.

At the lower price range, there are many ukes with laminate bodies and solid wood tops by Kala, Islander, etc. I like the HMS site for it's demo's.

I have also found some all solid Kala's in your price range, but they don't usually include a setup.

This one on the marketplace is $50 over your price range, but well worth every penny. It won't last long.

I have a Lanikai NKT tenor with Misi pickup installed if you would consider used. With pickup I paid $530. I plan to put it on UU next week for $175. I am headed to Tennessee for grandsons birthday. Will be back Sunday afternoon. I plan to do Utube video to show Uke and how it sounds, intonation, etc. it is in excellent condition, sounds great and the Koa is beautiful. If interested let me know. Barry Bouchillon. Greenwood,MS. I check email often
barrybush@gmail.com. No need to reply if not interested. If interested we could Skype or face time Monday to see and hear Uke.

X 2 on the kala in the market place. I own one and love it. great tone and it's only gotten better over the years... that's what solid wood will get ya! Nice case too. I thought about buying a backup but can't justify it when I want to buy a Kamaka some day.

Thanks all. That Kala is beautiful but definitely over my price range right now. I should have clarified in my top post that I am interested in buying used and in saying I was looking for ones that retail up to about $250ish new, I was actually thinking that I wouldn't want to spend more than about $180. I'll edit my post to reflect these changes. And thanks for the lead barrybush, I don't know anything about the Lanikai NKT but I'll read about it and PM you. This is for my first uke, and I'm hoping that by getting a used one I can get a nicer one than I could otherwise afford.

This one on the marketplace is $50 over your price range, but well worth every penny. It won't last long.

Yup, best price new is $349 without a case or set up. That Lanikai above with solid koa top and MiSi is a pretty nice deal. I doubt you'll beat it for $175 if it's set up well. Wonder if it comes with case?

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase a decent used tenor uke that will last me a while. I'd like to spend no more than about $180, but could go a bit higher. I'd strongly prefer one that had been professionally set up by a reputable place like HMS or Mim's. I like the sound and look of mahogany (laminate or solid) but would be open to considering others. Thanks!

If you'd be interested in a nice Mele 6 string mahogany tenor...PM me. I am going into town this weekend and I can take it with me. Much easier to ship from town than the Bush. I am in your price range.

Any idea how the Lanikai NKT (or the Kala Acacia) would sound compared to the Mainland solid body mahogany tenor? That's the one I'm considering at the moment if I end up buying new, although I also really liked the sound of the Islander MT-4 but it's a bit plain looking. I'm also thinking I wouldn't use the pickup on the NKT, but maybe I'll get really good one day and won't mind having other people hear me :) Is the case a soft gig bag or hard case?

haolejohn, I think 4 strings is enough for me to learn for now, but thanks for posting.

The Acacia would sound brighter and have that classic "koa" ring to it, whereas the Mainland will be mellower in brightness. Mainlands have lots of fans here, and the Kala solid acacia ukes are quickly gaining fans. Someone already sent a PM on the Kala.

The Acacia would sound brighter and have that classic "koa" ring to it, whereas the Mainland will be mellower in brightness. Mainlands have lots of fans here, and the Kala solid acacia ukes are quickly gaining fans. Someone already sent a PM on the Kala.

Interesting, I've been reading that the Acacia/Koa is warmer than mahogany, so based on that I would assume that would mean Acacia is less bright. It looks like the Kala Acacia is still for sale and I'm considering it even though it is way over my initial price range.

Any other opinions on the Mainland solid Mahogany (gloss) compared to the Kala solid Acacia? The Mainland would be a bit cheaper. I don't plan on upgrading for a while so which would be better for a wide variety of genres - I'd probably play some Hawaiian music with strumming, more mainstream rock/pop, and flamenco when I get good enough (I realize very different types of wood are preferable for all of these). I think mahogany is known to be better for jazz and acacia for more of this variety, but so many people seem happy with their Mainlands that I imagine that instrument sounds great with a wider variety of genres than just jazz.

If you haven't already, I'd really give one of the solid Gretsch tenors a thought.A big jump up for a little more money. Under $300, solid mahogany, really nice detail work. Plays and sounds like a much more expensive instrument. I've had a lot of high end ukes, and my Gretsch holds it own with any of them. Even comes with a nice gigbag.

By the time you add shipping and a hard case to the Mainland I think the price will be very close. I love my Mainland concert but the slot head solid acacia would probably be my pick. Keep analyzing and you won't have a choice.

Why don't you try an Asmus ukulele from ukestrummer.com
I own one and it sounds really good for the price I got it!

That giveaway is awesome, isn't it? I entered it 2 days ago but even at that time about a million people had already entered too.

I was waiting to update here until I had actually received my uke in the mail because I don't quite feel like a uke owner yet, but I'm the proud owner of the Kala solid acacia KA-ASAC-T! Thanks to everyone for all the leads and help. I've listened to 100s of videos in the last few days of many different ukes, and I really love the sound of that Kala! And the previous owner was nice enough to throw in some other things that I needed to get started. The only problem is that, after watching videos all week, I've found at least 4 other ukes that I really want too... :)

Top Bottom