So disappointed and question

hibiscus

Reaction score
My SK-38 Ohana Soprano from Mim is a wonderful instrument~ highly recommend it! I finally got around to taking the Aquila strings off and put on Martin 600s for the first time. I expected a great sound, and I guess it's OK, but the C string is so thick, I can't even keep it tuned. I don't even want to tighten the screw.

Question: I just ordered another set of Living Water strings. (YAY!) They will probably arrive within a week. Is it OK to take the strings off while I wait for the LWs or should I keep the Martins on. I'm not sure what is best for the ukulele.
Thank you,
hibiscus

I would leave the strings on until the new ones come. I would replace one string at a time, rather than removing them all at once. I think it keeps the pressure on the neck more consistent.

I am sure you will like the Living Water strings! I have never tied Martin 600's, but some people like them. It all depends on the uke you have.

–Lori

Thank you, Lori~ The Living Waters seem to sound beautiful on every ukulele I've put them on. I try to use different strings, but I find I'm using LWs more and more often.
I will keep the strings on and keep the C as where it is "comfortable".
~hibiscus
P.S. Love your Uke Leash!

Aloha Hibiscus,
Living water strings are thinner and does offer more playability and comfort....that is what thinner guage strings do.... good for people with weak or short fingers too.. almost like worth lights and PHD
Martins are a medium guage strings that offer more fullness and may be a hint sweeter tone... it is a trade off there
keep the martins on until they break in and see if you can get used to them first...no sense wasting your money unless it is real uncomfortable for you....Good Luck and Happy Strummings

I put some Martins on a Mele mahogany soprano I had, couldn't get them off fast enough. Guess it depends on the uke.

I've learned that strings need to be given a few weeks of daily play before making a decision on whether I like them or not.

Thank you, all. . .the C string is finally staying in tune. I think I was just shocked. The uke does sound good, and I like the idea of Martins on a replica of a Martin. I have ordered LW strings to have "on hand", but maybe I won't need them yet:)

The nut slot may be not quite wide enough for your C string.

Just keep tuning it up. Give the strings time to settle. You may like them.

My SK-38 Ohana Soprano from Mim is a wonderful instrument~ highly recommend it! I finally got around to taking the Aquila strings off and put on Martin 600s for the first time. I expected a great sound, and I guess it's OK, but the C string is so thick, I can't even keep it tuned. I don't even want to tighten the screw.

Question: I just ordered another set of Living Water strings. (YAY!) They will probably arrive within a week. Is it OK to take the strings off while I wait for the LWs or should I keep the Martins on. I'm not sure what is best for the ukulele.
Thank you,
hibiscus

Hi - - - I also have a SK-38 and it has the Aquilas on it. Ken Middleton mentioned on his YouTube review that they sound good on that uke (of course - he tends to make a uke sound very nice ). I'm curious if there was something about the sound of the Aquilas that you didnt like that you can describe ? And what aspect of the sound didn't you like when you first put the Martins on ?

I have Martin M600s and also the Living Water string sets, so am very interested in your experience with these on your SK-38. I hadn't gotten around to making any string changes yet, since the Aquilas sound pretty good on this uke to me. Thanks !

Last edited:
Hmmmm. A replica "vintage" Martin?

Put real gut strings on it!

What I've found is that the smaller the instrument, the more sensitive each one is to a particular brand and gauge of strings. For instance, what you're finding is totally normal in the violin world. They mix and match strings among brands and gauges to find the exact custom set that suits a particular style of playing and an individual player.

Welcome to the real world!

Top Bottom