A Long Story About My String Issues

SailQwest

Reaction score
I really dislike changing strings, and only do it when I have to—basically when the intonation starts going bad. The main thing I dislike about new strings is that they take a little while to settle before they start staying in tune. I am a freak about being in tune and being off makes me crazy!

So anyway, a couple of days before our last charter I put a new set of Aquilas on my Engelmann Concert, since the intonation was beginning to go bad. I played it like crazy to try to make sure the strings were stretched and settled before our charter. During the charter we played for our guests during Happy Arrrr probably 7 of the 10 days we were on charter. Every time we played I had trouble not cringing because my intonation was off, and above the 5th fret it was horrible. And those were new strings!

So we get back from charter, pick up our mail, and there is a package from UU! A t-shirt for Rich and some D'Addario strings for me. (BTW, thanks for the cool stickers!!!)

So, I put the new strings on (complaining bitterly the entire time). The strings feel good, the tone is nice, and they have a great sustain. But...the intonation on the C and E strings is not very good. I figure I'll give them a few days to settle in, and see if it gets better.

Well, it doesn't, and as a result on Tuesday night I end up playing my Eleuke on stage because I can't deal with the intonation issues I'm having with my Engelmann.

In the meantime, I'm really starting to worry about my uke. Could there be something wrong with it that would cause the intonation issues on 3 sets of strings? Is the neck bowing, the bridge pulling off, etc, etc, etc?

So today I get out my last set of concert strings (Aquilas) and put them on, keeping my fingers crossed. Knowing how crazy this whole changing strings thing makes me, Rich volunteered to help me play and tune the heck out of it today to get the strings settled.

Anyway, my intonation issues are over. The new strings sound fine and the intonation is perfect (again), thank goodness!

I got my Engelmann from Bushman last March. It's a very sweet concert cutaway. Unfortunately Bushman has discontinued their Engelmann line. :(

im the same way with changing strings. only do it when i have to. ive had my Koaloha for almost a year now, and i just changed the string 2 days ago. it was gross, the strings were basically falling apart and they were brown and nasty. i guess i dont wash my hands before i play

I know exactly what your say'n,,,I use the black nylon strings and i solved this problem with new strings by tuning my uke a full step up, give it a good solid thrash'n for an hr or so, and then tune back down,
found it gets most of the strech out off the strings a lot quicker than waiting for them to bed standard, allowing my uke to stay in tune especially if i am performing with a new rig of strings
If 1 or 2 strings are bad compared to the rest, do the same to that string and it should come good,
In say'n that, keep in mind that you dont want to over stretch your strings,
because most of the time it is the reason for changing them

find that sweet spot that is good for your strings and your uke

Unfortunately strings are not always consistent and this will cause intonation problems and frustrations. Sometimes people think it's their uke, sometimes it is, but other times, it actually is the strings. This is why string selection is so important. Talk to those who have played for years and who can hear the difference. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

If you play a lot, strings probably should be changed every month or two. To check the wear, run your fingernail under the string where it makes contact with the frets. A worn string will have grooves from the frets, which cause the string to be out of round, affecting intonation.

A set of strings cost about $6. Change every 2 months and that's $3 a month or 10 cents a day. A small price to play to have an uke in tune.

I think tuning is just part of playing an instrument. If it's bothering you, you probably need to keep the headstock tuner permanently there during performances. I've had dodgy strings buzz, and strings that take a while to settle down, or strings that went dead way too quick, but no intonation-not-last-the-song type problems.

Top Bottom