Reaction score
Hello,

I have a G9121 Tenor A.C.E Ukulele
I looks and sounds fantastic
Like with previous ukuleles I replaced the High G with a Low G string
Aquila - Tenor - C Tuning Low Wound G

But

They keep breaking

I did have to widen the groove on the nut but was careful not to leave any sharp edges
I do play my uke with "gusto" but have never had a problem with breaking strings so regularly...

Any ideas why this might be?
Any tactics to deal with this issue?

Help Ukulele fans!

(oh and if anyone wants to buy me one of those purty gretsch resonator ukes I can send you my address!)

McUke
Southampton, UK

I'm thinking it could be due to overtuning? Do you sometimes tune it a step up to stretch it out faster? That might be a reason (if you actually do do that).

Other than that, I wouldn't know, sorry :S I hope someone else can give you a good solution!

Where is the string breaking? Is it at the same place every time? This will be a big clue as to the answer. My gut instinct is that its still something to do with the nut.

Anthony

Where did it break? At the nut or saddle? If there's a sharp edge, break will be there.

Maybe you got a bad batch or Aquila, try a 0.029 or a 0.030 dia wound guitar string, like a Savarez or Oasis and see if the problem still exists.

Have you tried an unwound string? Ken Middleton's Living Water strings have a Low G Tenor set with an unwound low G. I put them on mine when my Wound G went west a few weeks back and the difference is astounding, much more balanced across the entire fretboard.

I use a 'normal' set of Aquila Tenor strings for LowG using the 'IZ' method of stringing.
Never had a break,strings have a normal Aquila lifespan!

Low G Tuning Using A Set Of 'High G' Re-entrant Strings:

For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E Use the G string.
For A use the A string

Top Bottom