Uke Cleaning

uluapoundr

Reaction score
As most of us who play know, an uke can get pretty dirty and grimey from sweat or just the elements. I've been looking for a cleaner/polish and have been using Lizard Spit guitar polish for my gloss nitro finished ukes. This stuff is liquid and comes in a 4 oz. spray bottle. Wipe with a micro fiber cloth for a nice clean shine. I've found that keeping the uke clean and smooth also helps prevent fine scratches as it keeps the finish slick. It's important to note that the slick uke may make it more difficult to hold up against your shirt, especially if you are wearing a silk shirt, ha! As a side note, avoid shirts with buttons and exposed belt buckles, those can wreak havoc on an uke.

Lizard Spit also makes a fretboard conditioner, I've yet to try it.

Anyone else want to share safe tips on how to keep your uke clean?

the only thing i've ever used to try and clean my uke was "dr. duck's ax wax and string lube."

doesn't contain wax, abrasives, synthetics, silicones, or acids. i put a couple drops on the fretboard rub it in a bit, and let it set for a couple minutes. then i buff it out until it's no longer slippery. then i just kinda rub down the uke with whatever is left on the cloth making sure theres no residue when i'm done.

stuff says its safe on all finishes and prevents oxidation. i've only used it once so far about 2 or 3 months ago. and the fretboard looks pretty good still.

I use Gibson Pump Polish, Model # GG-910, 4 fl. oz. Martin also makes a pump polish/cleaner which I have used. Both are good products. Be sure to use a soft, clean rag.

I use Guild guitar polish (which I'm pretty sure is manufactured by the same folks who make it for Fender, Martin, Gibson, etc). There's probably better stuff out there, but I'm not obsessive about keeping my ukes in pristine condition. After all, I took the Kamaka to the beach right after I bought it. ;) But if it gets nasty with fingerprints or if the neck is sticky, regular guitar polish makes it all better. And I keep a stick of GHS Fast-Fret around to keep the fretboard from getting gross if I play it too much (especially at the beach).

As a side note, avoid shirts with buttons and exposed belt buckles, those can wreak havoc on an uke.
Gee ulua, you take all the fun out of playing the uke. ;) No buttons, no belt buckles??.. That too much pampering for me. I want to play that thing! hahaha...

OK, here my soap box rant...

Sure I'll clean the dust off around the soundhole and headstock area from time to time, but I don't fret over scratches and the wear marks.
I don't seek them out, of course, but if I grab my uke and it catches on the side of the coffee table and..ding!.. oh well,.. it is what it is. No need to grab my polishing cloth or worry about the next ding. The quest to keep my uke in perfect condition ended long ago and only added to my everyday stress levels.
Polish away, but as for me, I'll keep it "high g, and low key" with my very expensive, slightly used, unpampered friend who brings me no worries each time I pick it up.

There, I feel less stressed already! :p ..e.lo..

Last edited:
As a side note, avoid shirts with buttons and exposed belt buckles, those can wreak havoc on an uke.
Gee ulua, you take all the fun out of playing the uke. ;) No buttons, no belt buckles??.. That too much pampering for me. I want to play that thing! hahaha...

OK, here my soap box rant...

Sure I'll clean the dust off around the soundhole and headstock area from time to time, but I don't fret over scratches and the wear marks.
I don't seek them out, of course, but if I grab my uke and it catches on the side of the coffee table and..ding!.. oh well,.. it is what it is. No need to grab my polishing cloth or worry about the next ding. The quest to keep my uke in perfect condition ended long ago and only added to my everyday stress levels.
Polish away, but as for me, I'll keep it "high g, and low key" with my very expensive, slightly used, unpampered friend who brings me no worries each time I pick it up.

There, I feel less stressed already! :p ..e.lo..

Sorry, don't want to take the fun out of playing, ha! Honestly, I play my ukes too, scratches and all and I've played with buttoned shirts and belt buckles. In fact, I polished one of my ukes for the first time in months last night which brought me to bring up this thread for those who want to clean their ukes. The metal on tuners and fretwires will corrode if not kept clean, I'm guessing from body oils. Perhaps for some, that adds character. My fluke, which is my beach/fishing uke, has a lot of character. When I'm at home, shirtless is what I usually play but I assume for some of you, shirtless might lead to hypothermia brrrrrrr.

Top Bottom