New `ukulele for MGM, from some guy in Texas?

Kekani

Reaction score
The mongoose paid me a visit, and told me that MGM was kinda bored at NAMM, until he got into conversation with some guy named Bill Collings, who had a couple (three) `ukulele with him, so MGM figured he'd pick up two of them. . .

He also told me I should change my avatar, since that one went as well (but may be coming back to the islands, Maui I think).

Mike didn't send you any pics?

Last edited:
Thats cool to see more and more established guitar companies getting into ukuleles. I'm sure they will be nice.

Had a chance to play two of them briefly while I was there. Amazing caftmanship (What you'd expect Bill Collings). As with any instrument at NAMM, it's really impossible to appreciate or critique the sound quality as there is just too much ambient noise although knowing who made them, I'm sure they will sound equally as incredible. Good buy Mike!

IMG_0774.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at NAMM, too. Too bad I missed you, Mike. If Bill built them, they must be extraordinary. His guitars are world class.

#2 was at my house last night. Although I'm not a Concert fan, I do appreciate good work, and Collings has it down. It has the right amount of everything that a Concert should - little more resonance than a standard, more complex, not as big(and I don't mean size) as a Tenor, not tinny like a standard. Bill definitely did his homework.

The frets were leveled to the hilt, but were rounded nicely, as well as having the ends dressed nicely - although I'm a fan of binding the F/B, sort of a mix between KoAloha and G-String (bound, but with a bevel).

Quality? Don't ask. You don't have to.

The only drawback was the strings, but that's me. What strings would I put on? I don't know, because I don't play concerts. Of the top, probably Pro Artes (but they may be a little too big), or Worth. I would certainly try Ko`olau for #2 Collings (mahogany, satin finish). Honestly, I don't think it would matter much.

Strings will not make this instrument, although the current strings seem to be trying to squeeze something out of the instrument that it doesn't need to - sort of like putting NO2 on a 4 cylinder import to make it go fast. What's the purpose, you're still missing half an engine anyway? Given a V8, you don't need the nitrous, and neither does the Collings.

Whomever gets this will not be disappointed. For the price, I'll take a local factory anyday (and twice on Sunday), as that is the sound the Collings emulates anyway - of course, it would not be their #2 instrument.

-Aaron

Last edited:
call me 757-777-7873 if really interested and wallet is deeeeeeeeep

Top Bottom