PDA

View Full Version : Gunpowder finish

Timbuck
10-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Video from Stewmac....I don't think i'll try this one :(
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0201.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ts0201

Michael Smith
10-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I just did this on a concert redwood topped a few days ago. My ukulele developed a unsightly crack that I was able to fix but it looked horrible so I gunpowdered the top and set it off. I didn't use the cover blanket he uses. It worked out well and I like the ukulele again. The only thing I would say is to use pyrodex and not black powder. Black powder produces so much acid as a by product from the sulphur it will rot the wood away in time.

The Big Kahuna
10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Holy crap, I love that headstock!

To my mind, the headstock is the part of an instrument that so many manufacturers/builders get "wrong". I don't know if it isn't considered important, but when most guitars/ukes look the same in terms of shape, the only way to impart any individuality is in the headstock, and so many just wimp out and go with a "traditional" design.

bbycrts
10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
At one point the question is asked, "Is that nitrocellulose?" and the first thing to pop in my head was, "No, it's nitroglycerine."

Hms
10-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Oh go on Timbuck, it's been a while since we had any reports of the antics of yourself in the workshop, glueing fingers together, reversing into the bending iron etc!
h

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Holy crap, I love that headstock!.

Stauffer, who taught one German individual by the name of C.F Martin, who made, apparently, a few American guitars and ukes.

ksquine
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
You won't try it Ken?? I just assumed that you make your own gunpowder and experiment with other alchemy

Timbuck
10-11-2013, 09:44 AM
You won't try it Ken?? I just assumed that you make your own gunpowder and experiment with other alchemy
You can get an interesting finish on pinewood with a blowlamp and wire brush..Honest :)

Skrik
10-12-2013, 06:13 AM
At one point the question is asked, "Is that nitrocellulose?" and the first thing to pop in my head was, "No, it's nitroglycerine."

I'm pretty sure nitroglycerine burns too quickly to use safely. On the other hand, its oily nature would ensure a much more even coverage than the gunpowder. Nitrocellulose when wet is a slowburning explosive, though...

Who should I commission?