Tenor tuning - do you prefer hi or low g?

Lend27

Reaction score
I don't have alot of uke experience, and have never tried low g tuning, although I do play guitar.
Do you prefer low g or standard high g tuning?
I don't think I would like a wound low g.
Who sells unwound low g sets, and is it recommended on a tenor?

Thanks
Len

To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths.

I use low G for playing fingerstyle, which is 90% of what I do on the uke. I use high G if I am strumming along with singers for some reason. I have two tenors, so I keep one in each tuning.

To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths.

I agree. There are some songs that the low G is really great for - for example Cry me a River or It don't mean a thing if it ....... But that's because the bass line in the chord melody line in each of them is so strong. But for the vast majority of music, I kind of find low G to be a bit washed out sounding - guitar like but not really enough so. So I enjoy playing the uke that sounds like a uke. And the high G is really cool for finger picking melody- like melodic 5 string banjo.

Duk

To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths
- Tim Mullins

Me too! I love re-entrant tuning - it's so...... UKEY! I wouldn't even attempt to justify it, or convince you. I came to the realisation that it was my natural element after years of trials of low G on all size ukes (most recently - after really holding out, on baritone too)
Try both tunings, and give them both a fair go ( I mean live with them for a long time) Play all sorts of music, in all sorts of climatic conditions, and wearing many different out-fits. Find your tuning Grasshopper

I have yet to dry a low g on a uke but after this thread im thinking of giving it a try since it seems a lot of people like it!

Like most of us I have one low g strung ukulele and I like it. But most of the time I find myself liking the standard hi g tuning. To me the sound really gives me the ukulele feel and sound. If you have a couple of ukes you can use one for low g and see how you like it.

Sopranos and concerts - gotta be high G.

For tenor - depends if you're pickin or strumin. Low G for pickin only, otherwise just go play a guitar

(Quickly ducking now :) )

I prefer reentrant tuning on tenor, but I currently have 2 tenors low G. My favorite way to play low G is the Southcoast GCEA strings for baritone.

The nut slot may or may not need work. Depends on the uke and the size of the lowG string you pick. An unwound string will most likely work with no modification but a wound string may require slot widening. Although some have suggested a nailfile, I would take it to a luthier for the work. They will make sure your intonation remains intact.

I prefer my Islander Tenor in Low g. Though I've tried many and go back and forth often, I think I generally prefer UNwound as well (currently using Worth Brown's and very pleased with the tone.,)

I tried low g on my Kala concert and didn't like it though. On that uke, I prefer reentrant tuning (high g) and really like D'addario Jstrings.

Another reason for a 2nd tenor. One for reentrant tuning and one for low G.

Hmmm

I was sure I needed three baritones. One tuned G linear (stock), one tuned Cuatro C (1st string reentrant) and Linear C (Tenor low-G) . . .

The nut slot may or may not need work. Depends on the uke and the size of the lowG string you pick. An unwound string will most likely work with no modification but a wound string may require slot widening. Although some have suggested a nailfile, I would take it to a luthier for the work. They will make sure your intonation remains intact.

I believe you may have this backwards. A wound string is smaller diameter than an unwound low g.
I like the La Bella flat wound polished low g.
High g and low g are both good, so yes at least two ukes !!

Top Bottom