NBUD (New Banjo Uke Day): Dixie Banjolele

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
It certainly looks very cool! Hopefully you'll be posting a sound sample?

Scooter

I'm glad yours worked out for you. Mine was unplayable. The intonation was so off that the instrument was impossible to play in tune. The person who bought it from me did some work on it and managed to improve it, but not to the point where it didn't sound pretty awful.

From the posts I've read, if you get a "bad" one, you are limited in what you can do to improve it (re: neck adjustment, etc.) . If you get a good one, no issue. Hope your's is a "good one."

Congratulations. I really like the looks of those and almost bought one once. Red or black paint in fins? Or natural aluminum?

I've played two Dixies - one was OK, one was superb.

The OK one was for sale for $150, the superb one was offered at $185, and was worth the price difference. Not only was the sound and feel different between the two, but the finish on the more expensive uke was better as well - slight pitting on the head, but clean, while the lesser of the two had some flaking issues.

Both sellers regretted selling the Dixies, but they also turned around and bought National Resophonic ukes, so I don't feel bad for either of them.

-Kurt​

I agree that there are good and bad examples of the Dixie out there. I understand the point of view that any banjo uke can be fixed by "futzing with the bridge placement," but believe me, I tried that. It was completely unsuccessful. The next owner replaced the bridge and made some other adjustments, and the best he ever managed without major reconstructive surgery was getting the uke to the point where it almost didn't hurt to listen to. However, if you have a good one, that's great.

Top Bottom