"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter"

H

Hippie Dribble

1935. music Fred E. Ahlert; lyrics Joe Young

hi folks, after some life upheavals recently, this is the first time I picked a uke up in two months. I'm in a new place now in a new town. I learnt this song a long time ago and after chatting with a couple of awesome friends today, finally got the urge to play again. First take and a bit rough, but it's just nice to sing a song and feel inspired, if only a little bit.

This is a wonderful and fun popular song from the jazz era that has been recorded by all the usual suspects: Sinatra, Crosby, Deano, Cliff Edwards, Fats Waller, Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughan, even Barry Manilow and Willie Nelson! It also features on a brilliant recent recording by Dr Bekken entitled "JazzBluesRagtimeVaudeville".

My ad-lib arrangement played on a little peanut shaped Tiwi soprano ukulele, handbuilt for me by my friend John Cope in Reno. I have a free PDF songsheet available on my website for anyone interested.

Thankyou for watching friends and let's all raise a glass to the future.

Dedicated to Diane.

Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQDjaKpyRg8

Songsheet:
http://www.eugeneukulele.com/songs.html
(scroll down to PDF's)

Sweet Jon....love that song plus a song sheet! You're spoiling us. Glad you picked up the uke. It usually makes me feel a bit better unless I particularly suck that night.

I'm glad you're playing again Jon. It'd make me very sad knowing such a great voice and wonderful player was silenced. May those life upheavels level out and make you stronger. Thanks for being you.

Sweet Jon....love that song plus a song sheet! You're spoiling us. Glad you picked up the uke. It usually makes me feel a bit better unless I particularly suck that night.

Thanks a lot David. Yeah, such a sweetie of a tune mate. And yeah, the uke has always been therapeutic for me too, no reason why it shouldn't keep being so eh :)

I'm glad you're playing again Jon. It'd make me very sad knowing such a great voice and wonderful player was silenced. May those life upheavels level out and make you stronger. Thanks for being you.

Hi Patrick, thanks mate, that's really kind of you to say brother. Blessings.

That was a great song choice. Nicely done.

So wonderful to see you playing again -- thank you for sharing this with us -- I enjoyed watching you play this tune so very much! :)

Awesome man! Good to hear you again! Keep it up, it inspires many of us here. :eek:)

Thanks a lot Randy, Shirley, Richard, Ginny, Doc, Chelle, Peter, Maguwa and Bunny. :)

Jon, I am touched and honored by the dedication. Your playing continues to amaze me, and you were born to entertain.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Glad to have you back sir, you have been missed. What are the chances you will begin to tab out the complete song(s) you play, with all the solos, etc. ??

Jon, welcome back !!!
It's amazing how uke can get us through some tough times.
My music friends always seem to be there for me when needed.
Love your songs and always good to see a new post.

Top Bottom