What was your first ukulele?

Reaction score
I'm really just curious. Any additional information would be great, I think it's interesting to hear people talk about their current ukuleles, but I haven't heard anyone talk about their first ones.
I only have one ukulele, which is my first one. A Mahalo U-30 in pink because they didn't have it in white. It was very cheap, about £22 but it has provided me with hours and hours of enjoyment, not to mention a new skill.
I'd like to get a new ukulele soon, I've seen a Laika in mahogany that I like but I'll always keep my first ukulele.

My first uke wasn't that long ago, only a little more than a year now, but it was my Pono AT. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it either, it's sounds awesome, definitely a keeper. I did elect to start out with a "better" (subjective) uke, hoping it would help keep me motivated to learn and that as I progressed, I would grow into it as well.

My first one is a Lanikai CK-B. I went for the Baritone because I'm learning guitar too and the strings are the same. My second A Riptide Concert I will eventually sell, don't like the size,saving for a nice Tenor...

My first was a Johnson brand Pineapple picked up from one of Amazon's gold box deals. I found UU, learned about HMS, ordered a Kala KA-CEM and returned the pineapple because it was terrible.

My first ukulele was an unmarked ukulele that I found while traveling the east coast of Canada. I was extremely mellow and sounded pretty terrible now that I compare it to my newer ones.

A Kanile'a KPE C Premium, I couldn't resist the Kaliua Beach sand used in the fret markers and logo.

Mine was a Martin S-O in 2002, made in Mexico. I no longer have it, but looking back, it was a nice little instrument. Perfectly serviceable, and at the time, they were only $200.

-Steve

I had a mahalo 30 dollar yellow uke, I sold it to my friend's little brother. Occasionally, when I get to play it again, I still think it sounds nice, maybe not as nice as my other ukes but not bad at all.

My Fender NoHea Tenor, followed 2 days later by my Luna Honu Soprano. Bought whilst in New York, as part of my 50th birthday year celebrations.

I absolutely love my Fender to bits, and despite owning a couple of "better" Ukes, it will always remain my favourite.

uke.jpg

Many years ago, I bought an Aria Baritone Uke at Rochester's House Of Guitars. Made in Japan, I think it was Mahogany, and I wanted something to toss in the car when I was working for an insurance company and traveling, and didn't want to take my guitar. (Places it around 1979 or so). I didn't have a case, and the neck started to twist within a month. So I hung it in the upstairs bedroom, and forogt about it. Around the same time, I got a Stella Banjo Uke at a pawn shop in Auburn, NY, with the intention of using it as wall art. (Turns out the Stella was playable - $30 well spent!)

In 2010, my Father-in-law gave me a 1950s Harmony Soprano that he hadn't played in well over 20 years.

I tuned it up, started playing, and never looked back. I don't play it very often - the action is a little high, and the tuning buttons are cracked- but I'll never let it go.

The first "real" uke I bought was a Cordoba 20TM. Ill never let that one go, either.

-Kurt​

Kamaka HF-3 that my wife bought for me because I stared at it everyday while vacationing in Kauai. It is beautiful.

Kala Pineapple Soprano KA-P. I started learning ukulele with that and played for a while before I forgot about it. Picked up again few months ago, but I sold away the pineapple and changed to Kamoa E3 Tenor and Mainland Red Cedar Concert.

Pono solid koa soprano with gloss finish that I bought for my wife after our 2005 vacation in Maui. It was beautiful but the tuners were heavy. We had it around for a few years and it was the instrument I brought to my first ukulele club jam in February 2012. The Pono brand has improved so much in the last few years and my wife has a new Pono Acacia soprano with a satin finish that she loves. But that ukulele sparked my interest in the instrument and it has brought lots of new friends and great joy to my life.

Hmm. My first uke was a Fluke in plain old natural with Hilo strings. That was a great uke to start with.

Now I prefer a thinner neck than one finds on a Fluke or Flea.

I just got my uke a few months ago - a Luna Honu. I love the honu lasered onto the uke and it plays well enough. When I eventually upgrade to a solid uke, I don't think I'll sell it either. The turtle is staying. :)

Not sure - the first ukulele I owned was a mahogany soprano that I was given for my 7th birthday. Wish I knew what it was... wish I still had it, and wish I'd not stopped playing a couple years later. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Fast forward close to 40 years and the first ukulele I bought for myself was an Ohana SK-20S. I outgrew it pretty quickly and passed it on to a friend, but it was a surprisingly decent uke for the price.

First uke was a Big Island Honu soprano my wife bought me while on family vacation on the.......... Big Island.
That was just over a year ago and I've added several players to my stable, but that uke is one of my favorite go-tos due to playability and its sweet chime.

My first ukulele was about five months ago, a Mahalo UT-30. I didn't play the ukulele, only guitar, but I recently bought a Fender Telecaster and was flipping through a Musicians Friend catalogue when I came across the Mahalo for $99. It's designed after the Telecaster and I thought it would be cute to have it. I found it on another site for $65 (it's now selling for $49). I then added a pick guard to match the Telecaster.

u1aMahalo.jpg

Then I started to learn the ukulele, but the more I played it, the more I found it difficult to hold the tight cords, so I did some research and found out about sizes. The Mahalo is a soprano, and I realized that a tenor would be better for me. Flipping through the Musicians Friend catalogue, they had a Lanikai tenor quilted ash on sale for $149. I drove over to Sam Ash in Hollywood, they had it for $329. I liked the size, sound and look, asked if they matched price, they said yes, so I bought it.

I then joined the CC Strummers group in Culver City and at my first session, sold the Mahalo to one of the members for her grandson for $35.

Last edited:
Easy for me to remember since I've only had my first Uke a month. It's a Pono solid Koa tenor. I have a lot of improving to do to be worthy of this Uke, but I am having a blast learning to play!:D

Top Bottom