Any beginners in West Los Angeles?

sesame

Reaction score
I'm just starting uke and it looks like the only group/meet up in this area is the Westside Ukulele Ensemble which is for more advanced players. If you're in the beginner to early intermediate stages and would like to get together to play, let me know! I'm located in the Westwood area. Depending on the number of interested people, a few parks in the Westside or a courtyard on UCLA's campus could work as good, free places to meet.

Hi Sesame, I'm local too but it's been some time since I was a beginner (I'm one of the co-founders of Westside Ukulele Ensemble) and it kind of surprises me that in the years since I started out, nothing new has come up on our side of town in terms of uke groups.

The only ones I'm aware of that are anywhere close are the Culver City Strummers, and a bit further away, ULU Ohana in El Segundo. I played with the latter briefly and it's a good supportive environment for a beginner; I have no experience with the CC Strummers as they meet on weekdays when I'm workin' for the man.

There is a beginning ukulele class that comes up periodically at McCabe's in Santa Monica, which I highly recommend. It's where I learned to play and I've continued to take different classes and private lessons there. A beginning class was supposed to start a couple weeks ago, but it was cancelled due to low attendance. If you're interested, revisit the link I gave you periodically; one may start again in January. When I know the exact dates I'll post it to UU.

Thanks for the heads up on the other groups, janeray! I'll definitely look into ULU Ohana. The Culver City Strummers wouldn't work for me because it looks like it's a group for senior citizens, and I also have looked into the Pluckin' Stummers but Atwater is a pretty long drive. As for McCabe's, I was actually there for the first class, and was sad to find that they cancelled it even though just 2 people showed up. Hopefully the January one will have a higher attendance.

If there are any other beginners in the West LA area, it would be great to hear from you! I know there has to be someone out there!

Thanks for the heads up on the other groups, janeray! I'll definitely look into ULU Ohana. The Culver City Strummers wouldn't work for me because it looks like it's a group for senior citizens, and I also have looked into the Pluckin' Stummers but Atwater is a pretty long drive. As for McCabe's, I was actually there for the first class, and was sad to find that they cancelled it even though just 2 people showed up. Hopefully the January one will have a higher attendance.

If there are any other beginners in the West LA area, it would be great to hear from you! I know there has to be someone out there!

ULU Ohana was fun - you don't get to play much beyond 3-chord songs, but in the beginning, that's enough, and the group is just full of aloha spirit. I've been told the CC Stummers is open to all ages, but is mainly retirees due to the time that they meet. I've heard the Pluckin' Strummers is a younger crowd but yes, the drive!

Feel free to PM me your contact info if you'd like to be added to the emails I send out when uke classes start up at McCabe's.

Although not in West LA, the Jumpin' Flea Circus group meets in Sherman Oaks and is a very friendly environment for all levels. Thursday evenings are their meet ups.

Although not in West LA, the Jumpin' Flea Circus group meets in Sherman Oaks and is a very friendly environment for all levels. Thursday evenings are their meet ups.

Second the friendly environment bit, but - if you're trying to get there from WLA during rush hour, plan on a two hour drive to get there. Possibly more, I haven't attempted it since the 405 Freeway construction started!

As you look for groups and get better, I think it helps to find a group that plays songs that you like. It will motivate you to practice more.

Sesame - I'm in Santa Monica. Surely there are more than the two of us newbies in LA?! Anybody else? E

Hooray, emonnier! Glad to hear there is someone else out there! Maybe if others reply we'd have enough for a small group...

Janeray1940 - What level players are the members of WUE? What sort of music do you play? Is is possible to come one time and observe? I think it would be helpful and motivating. Regards, Eddie

Hi Eddie - check out the WUE website, on the blog page you can find some videos of past performances that will give you an idea of what we do. There is also contact information and meeting dates and times on the site. Lori is the best one to get in contact with about coming to observe - my involvement as of lately has been sporadic due to other commitments.

The level of players is somewhat mixed. When we formed the group two years ago, most of us had only been playing for a couple of years at most.

We stick mostly to standards, some classical, and classic pop like Beatles tunes - officially all instrumentals, although there have been a couple of singing-and-strumming performances by the group members who are into that sort of thing.

Top Bottom