PDA

View Full Version : So Tell Me About 6-String Ukes!

BigMamaJ40
10-12-2013, 10:26 AM
While trying to explain to my husband why I "needed" another uke, out of nowhere I said, "Well, I don't have a 6-string uke yet!"

I wasn't even considering a 6-string at the time, so I'm thinking there must be something to this Freudian slip.

What role does the 6-string play in your musical arsenal? Worthwhile, or just a passing fancy?

PhilUSAFRet
10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I just plain like the extra "chime" of a 6 string. Easier for some of us to fingerpick than an 8 string. Kind'a like a finger picker's "8 string". Also blends in well when playing with groups. Great for strumming "folk music"

mm stan
10-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I got a couple...but nothing beats a 4 stringer to me...

jcarlos
10-12-2013, 11:57 AM
I finally got to try one and I would just go for an 8 string, the two pairs make the 2 single strings feel really empty and unbalanced the sound. I just wasn't clicking with me. It made me realize why everything is usually in pairs, mandolins, 12 strings guitars, 8 string ukes, puerto rican cuatro(5 pairs), bajo sextos, etc...

Gillian
10-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of finger picking my Lili'u, so it hung on the wall, more and more, looking pretty while I played my four-string ukes. For a guitar-like ring on strummed songs, it sounded lovely.

So, rather than have it just hangin' around, I sold it to help finance a custom four-string uke. I'll miss it when I play along with George Harrison playing his Lili'u on "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", though.

greenie44
10-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm more of a strummer, and the uke that finally made it for me was a 6 string. Not too chimney, like an 8 string, and bigger sound than a 4 string. My go-to configuration.

TheCraftedCow
10-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I finally got to try one and I would just go for an 8 string, the two pairs make the 2 single strings feel really empty and unbalanced the sound. I just wasn't clicking with me. It made me realize why everything is usually in pairs, mandolins, 12 strings guitars, 8 string ukes, puerto rican cuatro(5 pairs), bajo sextos, etc... I agree with your description of a double and single mix. I do like my 2 -3 - 3 - 2 tiples strung as dD GgG BbB EE.

jcarlos
10-12-2013, 09:59 PM
I agree with your description of a double and single mix. I do like my 2 -3 - 3 - 2 tiples strung as dD GgG BbB EE.

Never had the chance to play a tiple, but I can imagine that that set would sound amazing!

Doc_J
10-13-2013, 01:07 AM
I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of finger picking my Lili'u, so it hung on the wall, more and more, looking pretty while I played my four-string ukes. For a guitar-like ring on strummed songs, it sounded lovely.

So, rather than have it just hangin' around, I sold it to help finance a custom four-string uke. I'll miss it when I play along with George Harrison playing his Lili'u on "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", though.
Yep, great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CkIniOcqs&sns=em

PhilUSAFRet
10-13-2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks for that video, loved it. Like the tuba players outfit, that little parlor guitar, the Macafferri, oh hell, I liked it all.

kenikas
10-13-2013, 06:33 AM
I've never been able to bond with my 6 string, it does sound very nice strummed but the octave A strings just sound odd to me for finger picking and arpeggiated chords. I need to try unison A's and see if I like it better, but when I want a fuller more chiming sound I almost always go for my 8 string.

sirwhale
10-13-2013, 06:39 AM
I'd say you should think about 5strings :) 6strings see much more like a one trick pony to me

BigMamaJ40
10-13-2013, 08:41 AM
I've already traded off my 5-string -- I was not meant to be a banjo player. Good thing, as I would hate to give up telling banjo jokes;) I do like my banjolele, though.

Strange about that choice of a lower octave A -- one re-entrant string is enough for me to handle. Thanks for the feedback!

sirwhale
10-13-2013, 08:56 AM
So, now I'm not sure if that was a banko joke or not! but if not, I meant 5-string ukuleles; octaved G string...