So Tell Me About 6-String Ukes!

BigMamaJ40

Reaction score
While trying to explain to my husband why I "needed" another uke, out of nowhere I said, "Well, I don't have a 6-string uke yet!"

I wasn't even considering a 6-string at the time, so I'm thinking there must be something to this Freudian slip.

What role does the 6-string play in your musical arsenal? Worthwhile, or just a passing fancy?

I just plain like the extra "chime" of a 6 string. Easier for some of us to fingerpick than an 8 string. Kind'a like a finger picker's "8 string". Also blends in well when playing with groups. Great for strumming "folk music"

I finally got to try one and I would just go for an 8 string, the two pairs make the 2 single strings feel really empty and unbalanced the sound. I just wasn't clicking with me. It made me realize why everything is usually in pairs, mandolins, 12 strings guitars, 8 string ukes, puerto rican cuatro(5 pairs), bajo sextos, etc...

I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of finger picking my Lili'u, so it hung on the wall, more and more, looking pretty while I played my four-string ukes. For a guitar-like ring on strummed songs, it sounded lovely.

So, rather than have it just hangin' around, I sold it to help finance a custom four-string uke. I'll miss it when I play along with George Harrison playing his Lili'u on "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", though.

I'm more of a strummer, and the uke that finally made it for me was a 6 string. Not too chimney, like an 8 string, and bigger sound than a 4 string. My go-to configuration.

I finally got to try one and I would just go for an 8 string, the two pairs make the 2 single strings feel really empty and unbalanced the sound. I just wasn't clicking with me. It made me realize why everything is usually in pairs, mandolins, 12 strings guitars, 8 string ukes, puerto rican cuatro(5 pairs), bajo sextos, etc...
I agree with your description of a double and single mix. I do like my 2 -3 - 3 - 2 tiples strung as dD GgG BbB EE.

I agree with your description of a double and single mix. I do like my 2 -3 - 3 - 2 tiples strung as dD GgG BbB EE.

Never had the chance to play a tiple, but I can imagine that that set would sound amazing!

I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of finger picking my Lili'u, so it hung on the wall, more and more, looking pretty while I played my four-string ukes. For a guitar-like ring on strummed songs, it sounded lovely.

So, rather than have it just hangin' around, I sold it to help finance a custom four-string uke. I'll miss it when I play along with George Harrison playing his Lili'u on "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", though.
Yep, great song.

Thanks for that video, loved it. Like the tuba players outfit, that little parlor guitar, the Macafferri, oh hell, I liked it all.

I've never been able to bond with my 6 string, it does sound very nice strummed but the octave A strings just sound odd to me for finger picking and arpeggiated chords. I need to try unison A's and see if I like it better, but when I want a fuller more chiming sound I almost always go for my 8 string.

I'd say you should think about 5strings :) 6strings see much more like a one trick pony to me

I've already traded off my 5-string -- I was not meant to be a banjo player. Good thing, as I would hate to give up telling banjo jokes;) I do like my banjolele, though.

Strange about that choice of a lower octave A -- one re-entrant string is enough for me to handle. Thanks for the feedback!

So, now I'm not sure if that was a banko joke or not! but if not, I meant 5-string ukuleles; octaved G string...

Top Bottom