PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm over UAS

Captain Simian
10-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Post Deleted

kohanmike
10-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I hope I can say the same, after playing for only five months, I bought my fourth and fifth ukulele last weekend, but on Thursday I was in McCabes in Santa Monica and saw a beautiful Kala golden acacia tenor cutaway electric. Even I was surprised that I dragged myself away.

bunnyf
10-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I think my UAS has abated too. Except for a vintage Martin (had the chance to play one a few days ago..great), I don't really desire any others. I have four and they each have different functions (a few different sizes and a beater) and that's enough for me. I don't see myself having a ton, with all different tunings and such. Right now, I'm keeping myself happy with some new accessories, like new microtuners for each headstock, pickups, straps and the like.

consitter
10-12-2013, 07:57 PM
cough**BULL**cough...it's only in remission.

It WILL come back.......

Bao
10-12-2013, 08:52 PM
UAS gets the better of us sometimes. Especially since these uke makers are always coming up with better, more unique designs, it just really tempts you bad. I for one, won't be buying any more ukes until I can afford a custom though

HBolte
10-13-2013, 03:00 AM
I think my UAS has abated too. Except for a vintage Martin (had the chance to play one a few days ago..great), I don't really desire any others. I have four and they each have different functions (a few different sizes and a beater) and that's enough for me. I don't see myself having a ton, with all different tunings and such. Right now, I'm keeping myself happy with some new accessories, like new microtuners for each headstock, pickups, straps and the like.

You can't go wrong. I have several ukes and seem to reach for one of my vintage Martin sopranos first.

hent
10-13-2013, 03:03 AM
"I think I'm over UAS."

Believe it or not it's only temporary. You'll be back with a vengeance with your UAS. :)

hucklelele
10-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Can someone explain this term UAS to me?

I'm guessing Ukulele Alcoholic Syndrome ?
I keep hearing this and not sure. Thanks.

kenikas
10-13-2013, 05:12 AM
I think I'm over UAS
If I had an ukulele for every time I've said that......oh wait, I DO!!

hucklelele, it's Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome. It's a relentless, but enjoyable affliction.

UkeKiddinMe
10-13-2013, 05:20 AM
You folks are funny.

Future UAS flare ups are inevitable. :D

kohanmike
10-13-2013, 06:29 AM
The term ***** Acquisition Syndrome is used for anything, on my photography forum we use NAS and CAS, Nikon Acquisition Syndrome and Canon Acquisition Syndrome. My brother and his group have DAS, Drum Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm starting to use an additional version, UAAS, Ukulele Accessory Acquisition Syndrome, that one has a very strong hold on me. I'm going down to Huntington Beach Monday before my CC Strummers session to look for padded gig bags, putting myself in harms way for UAS, judging by the web site photos of that store.

UkeKiddinMe
10-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Some forums also use GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :D
I like that one because then you get to talk about the GAS building up. ;)

Skrik
10-13-2013, 06:47 AM
"I'm over UAS, I only want X more ukuleles."

LMAO!

UkeyDave
10-13-2013, 06:54 AM
I got to four Ukes before purchasing a Martin S-1 and now I want to stay with and collect other Martin's too :drool:.
I've got some serious saving to do. Help me. :iwant::iwant:

Tootler
10-13-2013, 07:33 AM
My UAS has been temporalily satisfied as I just added a Bruko tenor to my collection but I also tried a Bruko soprano.

Hmmmmmm!

Tigeralum2001
10-13-2013, 07:42 AM
I thought mine was cured, too. I've been selling of my uke collection, in fact. Then all of a sudden, without warning, BAM strong desire for a new uke. I have suppressed it a little and I haven't bought anything yet... But I am afraid I will soon...

Dan Uke
10-13-2013, 07:45 AM
There are only 3 ukes now that I really want; a soprano Flea, a National or similar, and a sopranino. Nothing else really appeals to me outside of those 3. I had a chance today to pickup an old Harmony cheap and I passed. The wifey was not only shocked she thought I'd done something bad that I hadn't told her about. Crazy, huh?

So are you saying that you have the 3 ukes or you want the 3 ukes?

sarastro
10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
So are you saying that you have the 3 ukes or you want the 3 ukes?

Good point! If you don't already have them you still have UAS

OldePhart
10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I haven't purchased a uke in over a year...but pressure is building... LOL

John

bnolsen
10-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah sad. Now that I have a flea and fluke together I'm starting to consider looking at a martin oxk as well. I'm avoiding solid woods considering I live in the high and dry plains and know I'd only end up with cracked wood stuffs.

Helms
10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
I don't think I was ever struck by UAS - at least not to the same extent as you other guys! :-)
... living in Denmark makes it fairly complicated to get any decent ukes without paying 25-35% taxes.

But I did have a fairly long list of ukulele I HAD to own!
After moving in to a new apartment that can barely fit 2 ukuleles on the wall, I completely changed my mind.
The list has shrunken and now contains only 2 ukuleles and 1 guitalele.

PeteyHoudini
10-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey gang,

I would say I'm over UAS at this point after 7 long suffering years. Though the past few years, I got into an off-shoot of UAS where you only want to buy one company's products. In my case, it was the new Martins.

The UAS on that Martin front is now over. Yeah, I've got two more reviews to do, but the taps are now dry and I will abstain from any further ukes, Martin or whatever, but I won't abstain from wine. hehehe LOL

Petey

Kyle23
10-14-2013, 12:37 PM
"I don't have UAS" "I want 3 ukes right now"

I think you have it lol

iamesperambient
10-15-2013, 06:48 AM
There are only 3 ukes now that I really want; a soprano Flea, a National or similar, and a sopranino. Nothing else really appeals to me outside of those 3. I had a chance today to pickup an old Harmony cheap and I passed. The wifey was not only shocked she thought I'd done something bad that I hadn't told her about. Crazy, huh?

The sopranino one seems to small and gimmickish for me too much novelty. Of course if I was rich id get a national resonator asap. I would love and always wanted one but their so expensive. I'm probably going to get a gretsch resonator for less than 300 bucks in the coming months. Anything over 300 for me would not be possible to afford and to even save up to 300 bucks takes at least around 2 months.

I do like the one fluke or flea i forget which one it is with the tiki guy on it i would love to own that one.

kohanmike
10-15-2013, 07:44 AM
So far so good... I saw a very interesting tenor walnut cutaway yesterday on eBay where the top had a light finish and then had a dark overlay across the upper part of the top. It was selling for $79 US and $60 shipping from Viet Nam. Got close, but held off when I realized it would be too much of a hassle to return if I didn't like it.

bborzell
10-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Been thinking that the solid body electric Pono was pretty much the only other uke on the immediate horizon for me. Then I caught a glimpse of the new Pono Acacia Tenor Deluxe Cedar Top Cutaway. Hmmm...

sonomajazz
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Just getting started here...when the feeling subsides, you'll be the first to know Cap'n!