Forster Jumping Fleas Uke Band wins local Council award!

arpie

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been running the Forster Jumping Fleas Ukulele Band for the last 2 years now. More recently, we've been performing at Old Folks Homes and Community Groups such as Meals on Wheels, Respite Care Groups & different Charity Groups - for no charge. We also do 'one offs' like 'Xmas in July' for clubs and groups and we currently have 12 bookings between now & Xmas ........ and will probably be asked for more!

So - when we were nominated in the "Performing Groups" section of the Great Lakes Cultural Awards last weekend, we didn't really expect much to happen ....... but blow me down - we won it!! The smile is still on the dial - and we've even been awarded $300 to spend on the group!! We may even go for 'all the same shirts' tho I think I will continue wearing my 'bright one', as it was my neighbour's (who was a member of our group) who sadly passed away from Prostate Cancer at Easter, so it is my way of still including Hal in the group's performances.

Before we were announced as the Winner - with the organizer's permission, we performed our 'Club Song' and my husband took a video of it, which turned out really well!! So here it is!! I hope you enjoy it! As you can see, we do it more for fun than serious - John (2nd from right) was even playing 'air uke' as he'd injured his wrist from playing too much! I am 2nd from the left and Peter, the writer/composer of our Club Song, is next to me (far left)

Many of our members had never played an instrument prior to joining the Jumping Fleas - so it really goes to show - you are never too old to learn the Ukulele!! Our oldest member is Dorothy (in the pink hat & blue shirt) who is 86 & has been playing a year. Most of us are aged from mid 50's and up! 4 of our regulars were away on holidays at the time, so sadly,missed out on the performance!

So ..... If you haven't tried performing in public before - give it a go - it does wonders for your confidence & the oldies just love us playing for them!

cheerio

Roberta

Last edited:
Congratulations on your win
I am finding that playing and singing in a group is very good for the soul. Even though I am still a beginner

Cliff

Many Thanks Cliff - joining a group is definitely the best way to improve both as a singer and a player ....... yep, it does the soul good - and just makes it SO MUCH MORE FUN!!

cheers

Roberta

Top Bottom