Help me decide - Mya-moe or Kinnard

billten

Reaction score
Ok, its time to get me one and only keeper custom Uke, I have decided on either of these two but am jumping back and forth between them, Mya-moe or Kinnard? Price is very close so its really down to playability and tone.

Opinions?

Bill

Easy decision. I've had ukes from both makers.

Get the Kinnard.

PM me about my experiences with the two.

Last edited:
Yup. I've played both (though I own neither).

Another vote for a Kinnard.

Last edited:
I've played both and currently have the Kinnard RT uke.

Kinnard

If you PM I'll tell you specifically why.

I've only played a MM and it wasn't the tone or finish I am looking for so I would get the Kinnard. However, there are many satisfied customers so you should play them and see which one you like.

I have only one complaint with Kinnard- the frets aren't dressed to my liking. They are too high and not rounded smooth enough. Maybe I'm too picky? In either case, Kinnard would be my choice as well

I haven't had the pleasure to play a Mya-Moe although I have read through their material. I chose a Kinnard for two main reasons. Playability and tone are excellent. And John's attention to detail in fit and finish are second to none. I would suggest a Kinnard as well.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Haven't played a Kinnard uke. Yet. But it looks to be a fine instrument. I can't wait to try one out. I have a MM resonator and a baritone on the way. Have nothing but good experiences with MM. My reso is a uke that will be with me for a long time and I'm really looking forward to my baritone. Without having played a Kinnard, I'd say you should be happy either way. You should play them if you can and if you can't, choose the look you want. Both will be great players, no doubt.

Kinnards are great. So are Mya Moe's - what about the wait? If you don't mind waiting a year I'd suggest the Mya Moe for just one reason - I really think that tie bridges are better than slots - more durable and more versitile for different strings.

Doug

What size and wood specifications are you thinking about? I love Mya-Moe except for the long wait but their customer service is really wonderful. The Kinnard ukes I've seen and heard online look like classic Martin guitars - very clean and elegant. Very nice choice to have.

Thanks for all the great replies, I am learning a lot and getting a lot of different perspectives. I agree with the comment that it's a fabulous problem to have ;-) and that both makers have amazing quality and sounding ukulele. I am determined to pick just one and stick with it, i have a David Gill concert right now that i love the warmth and simple look of and want to have a tenor i can continue to develop into. I was all set to go ahead and order a custom mya-moe but I'm not sure why but i keep coming back to this one, it stopped me in my tracks when i saw it and i just can't stop thinking its my perfect ukulele...

63acc5e2fcded374b5d95076d7884a1c_1jw9.jpg

I cannot speak to Mya Moe as I have never played or seen one in person. But I have played John's RTU and subsequently ordered a custom from him through Kevin Bedoe. I spoke with both on the phone for quite awhile before ordering. I can say that commissioning a ukulele from Kinnard ukes is everything that the entire custom experience should be. Great service, communication, give and take, and in the end, a fantastic sounding and beautifully crafted ukuele.

Thanks for all the great replies, I am learning a lot and getting a lot of different perspectives. I agree with the comment that it's a fabulous problem to have ;-) and that both makers have amazing quality and sounding ukulele. I am determined to pick just one and stick with it, i have a David Gill concert right now that i love the warmth and simple look of and want to have a tenor i can continue to develop into. I was all set to go ahead and order a custom mya-moe but I'm not sure why but i keep coming back to this one, it stopped me in my tracks when i saw it and i just can't stop thinking its my perfect ukulele...

It's just beautiful, simple and elegant. If it speaks to you that strongly, maybe it's the one for you.

It looks an awful lot like my Kamaka tenor. I wouldn't rush to bypass a quality K brand ukulele. I think MM makes a great resonator but really, if you are going with koa, go "K"

I had the same debate recently. I ordered a Kinnard. I had a few deciding factors, one of the main ones was all the positive reviews here. I also listened to all of the Kinnard audio samples I could find and I was sold that the Kinnard Ukes really are special. I then called up Kevin and talked to him, he really seemed to get it, and was really helpful. The customer service so far from Kinnard Ukes has been the best in the business. Also the wait for a Kinnard is way shorter than a Mya Moe.

This was my first custom ordered instrument. I have been playing music for 20 years and thought it was time for a custom. Kevin was great at guiding me through the process.

Currently I am waiting on my uke.

Honestly I don't know if you an go wrong though. Best of luck.

Just an update. I decided on going with the Kinnard and talked to Kevin, who was great and sent me a whole load of info and sound clips, which of course only confused me further. I have decided to go to the shop in CA and actually listen to the different woods and select one right there.

Thanks to all for helping me with this decision, i'll post pix when i finally get my dream uke.

Bill

Congrats Bill. Take some pictures while you're at the shop. Would be great to see how the selection process goes.

Top Bottom