Favourite strings?

TJ Uke

Reaction score
Well, I've got a new favourite:

What are yours?

I found Aquila blew away standard cheapo nylon sets, but I like these D'Addarios so much more than the Nylguts.

Any sets you think I'd like even more?

I've tried Aquila Nylgut, D'Addario Nyltech, Martin & Worth brown. Right now I'm using Worth brown, but I'd like to try more kinds of D'Addario nylon. I liked the round mellow sound of the Nyltech on both soprano and concert, even though it is a stiff string.

IMHO - No one "best" string set for every instrument. Would have to specify the instrument to get a meaningful answer, and even then, the opinion would be based on the owner's expectations about what sounds "good" or "best" or maybe just what they want it to sound like. Very few, if any people have tried them all anyway. Good luck though.

IMHO - No one "best" string set for every instrument. Would have to specify the instrument to get a meaningful answer, and even then, the opinion would be based on the owner's expectations about what sounds "good" or "best" or maybe just what they want it to sound like. Very few, if any people have tried them all anyway. Good luck though.

Phil, your HO is correct!

A man can dream!

And then one day I'll make the ultimate nylon... A combination of nuclear waste and formaldehyde, wrapped in cobalt.

Or maybe not.

I have over 200 different guitar picks, if that helps you understand my personality and obsession with subjective minutiae.

Well, I've got a new favourite:

What are yours?

I found Aquila blew away standard cheapo nylon sets, but I like these D'Addarios so much more than the Nylguts.

Any sets you think I'd like even more?

So you say they have a more mellow sound to them? May try a set. Thanks for the effort.

So you say they have a more mellow sound to them? May try a set. Thanks for the effort.

Feels a bit closer to guitar to me, naturally the wound string in particular. I found the aquilas a bit too bright, but that's just the personal taste of someone who uses flatwounds on an e.guitar a lot.

Southcoast soft lights or light mediums; Savarez alliance

My favorites are PhD and Living Water. But for me they are not interchangeable - I like one of my ukes best with one and another uke sounds best to me with the other. I tried both types on both ukes and there was definitely a preference for me so I don't interchange them.

Now I am enjoying the Southcoast strings. I like nylon strings as well, D'Addario (T2, Pro Arte, & Black Nylon) all are great. Savarez is good too. None of other fluorocarbon strings I fell in love with.
On each ukulele the strings have different performance. For me, the process of finding the right strings is endless joy.

I haven't tried every string out there yet, but right now it's fremont Blacklines for me.

Feels a bit closer to guitar to me, naturally the wound string in particular. I found the aquilas a bit too bright, but that's just the personal taste of someone who uses flatwounds on an e.guitar a lot.

Interesting, I use flatwounds on my gretsch (guitar), so may just try a set of the D'Addarios out on a tenor. I use D'Addario exp's on my acoustics and they're top strings in my book and as you say, the uke strings are nearly half the price of the Aquilas' which I use as standard. Time to start messing about.

Last edited:
Simple question leading to complex answers.

Agree that different instruments respond (sometimes very) differently to different strings. I have liked Southcoast strings on my MP, but the tone quality didn't last as long as I had hoped. Same on my Pono, although the ATDC seems to respond better without wound low G strings

Just put a set of Fremont blacks on the MP and and am underwhelmed. Treble strings sound thin. Ph.Ds seemed to come across the same as the Fremonts. Worths sounded more full and balanced on both instruments, but nothing comes close to the combination of full range and clear balance on both instruments that I get with Living Water low G sets. And, they are long lasting.

Just got some D'addario J92 "clear Nylon" delivered-

a bit disappointed:
These individual string packages inside are actually even marked as "classical guitar" strings-

has anyone else noticed this ????
I noticed beforehand they were advetised as the same guage as the top three strings on my classical guitar
but these individual packages are actually labled as such

I bought these to be THICKER strings, but visually they don't look as thick or as hard as to ukes I recently acquired,
that are probably white Aquilla nylgut-
The Cordoba concert for sure
of course these "clear nylon" are still in the packages and I'm new to this-
I'm probably going to go the Nylgut route in the future, and these I'll put on a souvenir uke that already has really really cheap thin strings

I haven't ever really liked black strings since that first really cheap classical guitar I bought on Hollywood Boulevard 25 years ago
but I'm sure these are different.

Last edited:
I noticed the same when first open the package.:D Some of the strings seemed actually pack the existing classical guitar strings into the ukulele sets. I saw people buy classical guitar strings and pick the right gauge to use on ukulele. Strings are strings, as long as the gauge is right, and sounds right. Like japanese fishing line. :) Right?;) Enjoy!
Just got some D'addario J92 "clear Nylon" delivered-

a bit disappointed:
These individual string packages inside are actually even marked as "classical guitar" strings-

has anyone else noticed this ????
I noticed beforehand they wre advetised as the same guage as the top three strings on my classical guitar
but these individual packages are actually labled as such

I bought these to be THICKER strings, but visually they don't look as thick or as hard as to ukes that are probably white Aquilla nylgut-
The Cordoba concer for sure
of course these "clear nylon" are still in the packages and I'm new to this-
I'm probably going to go the Nylgut route in the future, and these I'll put on a souvenir uke that already has really really cheap thin strings

I haven't ever really liked black strings since that first really cheap classical guitar I bought on Hollywood Boulevard 25 years ago
but I'm sure these are different.

Top Bottom