Martin Copies

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Since it's hard/expensive to get Martin ukes (especially certain models), what do you consider the best reproductions around?]

I've had a Kiwaya KTS-4, that's a copy of the Martin style 0. Since I bought a Martin recently, I gave the Kiwaya to my girlfriend. I think it's a good instrument, but very different of the Martin 0.

I've had a Hamano H100, that's not a copy, but it's styled after the Style 1. It sounds good, but nothing like the Martin.

I had the opportunity to play a modern Martin S-O. I have to say it's the least similar to my vintage Style 0, but it was a long time ago.

I recently got a Kenny Hill UkeBrand, that is styled after the Martin 1C, with the plastic tortoise binding. I never played a Martin concert, but it's certainly visually appealing and VERY responsive.

Never having played an original Martin (well, ok, I played one on Kauai that belongs to an old friend, and which is peeling and dropping to bits...the Uke isn't in very good shape either), I'd probably have to go with Timbuck's Ukes. I just love the finish and simplicity of them.

Top Bottom