Unwound Low G String

Freemont Black Line (new and can be found on eBay as a single string)

Only ever used Aquila red unwound low Gs. A few of them broke but when you get a good one, it's wonderful.

Wound G strings sound great on tenors. Aquila has a good one. They don't last as long as unwound, but they're thinner, so using them on a uke that hasn't been set up for the wider unwound string is possible without modification in most cases. Sometimes the modifications for unwound G strings are not reversible without major changes - for example on a uke with a slotted bridge - or even on a tie bridge where the whole has to be made wider. It probably depends on the quality of the uke, etc. I only use high G tuning these days so I wouldn't want a uke that had been modified for an unwound low G. It depends on whether that matters to you or not.

Duk

I didn't like playing wound low G--annoyed by the squeak and the wound string always sounded out of place with the unwound strings. But today I replaced the Worth clear (unwound) low G on my Kala mahogany tenor with a Fremont Soloist since many on the forum have recommended it. The difference is like night & day. The Worth was "boomy" and had longer sustain than the other strings. The Fremont matches the other strings better in volume & sustain, and is easier to modulate the volume on. Not completely squeakless, but much less squeak than other wound strings I've played. If you haven't tried the Fremont, I'd suggest giving wound strings one more chance.

Wound G strings sound great on tenors. Aquila has a good one. They don't last as long as unwound, but they're thinner, so using them on a uke that hasn't been set up for the wider unwound string is possible without modification in most cases. Sometimes the modifications for unwound G strings are not reversible without major changes - for example on a uke with a slotted bridge - or even on a tie bridge where the whole has to be made wider. It probably depends on the quality of the uke, etc. I only use high G tuning these days so I wouldn't want a uke that had been modified for an unwound low G. It depends on whether that matters to you or not.

Duk

Ok I'll keep that in mind

Top Bottom