How can I date a vintage Martin Style 3?

cigarfan

Reaction score
I believe this specimen is from the 1940s but I can't be certain. Are there any markings or other clues that would date it? I know it has the logo on the headstock and not stamped on the back. That changed in the 30s?

1940s-Martin-Style-3-03.jpg1940s-Martin-Style-3-04.jpg1940s-Martin-Style-3-10.jpg

That newer 'cause it's parend-less. I think they started in the '40s doing them that way. Paging Dr. Tarman...

Buy it a nice dinner and ask it a lot of questions about itself.

It does not have the stripes on the finger board either, that puts it in the mid 50's. I'm not at home so don't have Tom Walsh's book with me to pinpoint it further.

Martin eliminated the "mustache", which is really called a parend, at the base of the instrument in 1950. Yours is post-1950.

Martin eliminated the fretboard "stripe" and used the seven dot pattern in 1955, if this is true of yours (and I think it is from the photo), yours is post 1955.

Finally, Martin added Made In USA in the sound hole in 1960. If yours does not have this, then yours is 1955-1960, specifically.

(If yours does have this Made In America, and I can't see it in the photo, it is post-1960).

I'm not a Martin savante, and I'm not even a Chris Tarman; all here is according to Walsh/King.

I think, but do not know, that Remco ('zaza) is playing that vintage Martin 3 in this fabulous video (while the uke vintage could be challenged, the fabulousness of the video is without dispute).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxOV9AFC5g
Why do I guess 1955-60 style 3 and not a style 2 for Remco? The seven fretboard dot pattern. Again, a guess. I think they are lovely, and do reflect a time of cost cutting for Martin, who essentially emasculated the Martin 3 style to save some hand work, but, thankfully, later reinstated the parend and striped fretboard in the latest models. (that very last line is opinion only). Yours, or the one pictured, is in stunning condition, cigar. A worthy part of a Martin 3 serial collection. Thank you for sharing it. There is one like it on eBay now, same vintage (I emailed the seller that his dates are wrong, but he didn;t change the listing) but he's asking an arm and a leg for it. It's only worth an arm.

Last edited:
Martin eliminated the "mustache", which is really called a parend, at the base of the instrument in 1950. Yours is post-1950.

Martin eliminated the fretboard "stripe" and used the seven dot pattern in 1955, if this is true of yours (and I think it is from the photo), yours is post 1955.

Finally, Martin added Made In USA in the sound hole in 1960. If yours does not have this, then yours is 1955-1960, specifically.

(If yours does have this Made In America, and I can't see it in the photo, it is post-1960).

I'm not a Martin savante, and I'm not even a Chris Tarman; all here is according to Walsh/King.

I think, but do not know, that Remco ('zaza) is playing that vintage Martin 3 in this fabulous video (while the uke vintage could be challenged, the fabulousness of the video is without repute).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxOV9AFC5g
Why do I guess 1955-60 style 3 and not a style 2 for Remco? The seven fretboard dot pattern. Again, a guess. I think they are lovely, and do reflect a time of cost cutting for Martin, who essentially emasculated the Martin 3 style to save some hand work, but, thankfully, later reinstated the parend and striped fretboard in the latest models. (that very last line is opinion only). Yours, or the one pictured, is in stunning condition, cigar. A worthy part of a Martin 3 serial collection. Thank you for sharing it. There is one like it on eBay now, same vintage (I emailed the seller that his dates are wrong, but he didn;t change the listing) but he's asking an arm and a leg for it. It's only worth an arm.

Thanks coolkayaker1. Appreciate the complete answer. And you are right, it does have seven dots on the fretboard.

1940s-Martin-Style-3-01.jpg

Thanks Steve. Based on the many discussions here on UU regarding vintage ukes I wanted to give one a shot. I'm very much looking forward to it. Probably paid too much but I'm learning. Ordered the Walsh/King book on Martin Ukes. Would like to get smart on the subject. I'll post some better pics when it arrives.

Dennis, Steve here. Yes, I'd love to see more photos when it arrives. We all pay too much for ukes--then when they double in price in 5 years, we're glad we did. lol That is a very interesting 3 you're getting because it was only made like that for short years.

When it arrived it was caseless, had 50 year old strings and my guess is severely de-hydrated. No cracks thank goodness. I have it in a case with an Oasis for a rejuvenation period after which I will clean it up and change strings. Even with the ancient strings I can hear how nice it sounds. Photos coming.

Buy it a nice dinner and ask it a lot of questions about itself.

That is where I was going to go to :)
You can tell when a vintage uke wants to be asked out on a date. She'll be wearing a cowgirl hat.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice but my little vintage Martin keeps telling me she is 29 and I know that can't be true. Flowers, candy and conversation hasn't cut the mustard and she's not wearing a cowboy hat ... where do I turn from here? LOL

When it arrived it was caseless, had 50 year old strings and my guess is severely de-hydrated. No cracks thank goodness. I have it in a case with an Oasis for a rejuvenation period after which I will clean it up and change strings. Even with the ancient strings I can hear how nice it sounds. Photos coming.

The old Martins are the best. They have a unique tone that is all their own. Maybe I'm taken in by the mists of the past, but I've never heard a modern uke that has the tone or the mojo of a vintage Martin. We are very fortunate that they are not only plentiful, but still pretty reasonably priced.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.. I was running a half marathon in Utah this weekend. Yes, I agree with Steve. '55-'60 (if no MADE IN USA stamp inside). I prefer the older styling with the parend and striped fingerboard, but ANY Style 3 is a great uke! And that one is in fantastic condition. Good score!

Now, you guys calling me "Dr. Tarman" need to keep in mind that I've actually only ever handled TWO vintage Style 3s... Mine, and a '40s (still had the parend and stripes but had ROUND dot position markers) that belongs to a guy I know in my town who doesn't play ukulele and wasn't interested in selling it. It's hanging on his wall... Gah!
In fact, other than that Style 3 that doesn't belong to me, I think I've only played two other vintage Martins besides the three I own. That should be changing this coming May though, if all goes according to plan... heh heh heh.....

Thanks Chris. I can confirm, no "Made in USA" stamp inside so 55' - '60 is right on. Put a set of Living Water strings on and she has come alive. Of course anything would be better than the 50-yr old strings that were on it! It is quite a challenge to stabilize strings with the old tuners. I'm hoping it gets easier. The sound is incredible though. Awesome!

BTW guys, what is a good case to fit a Martin Style 3? The length of neck seems a little short for those I've measured.

BTW guys, what is a good case to fit a Martin Style 3? The length of neck seems a little short for those I've measured.

I have mine (and also my Style 1) in a Guardian case that I got from Elderly. It's not great, but it fits Martins nicely and it does have a somewhat vintage look. I really like the padded handle and the green plush interior. If I was traveling or packing it around a lot, I might try to find a better one, but for my purposes that one works just fine.

Top Bottom