NUD - Kala travel soprano

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
I'm in Waikiki right now and I've just picked up a Kala travel soprano uke. No pictures as of yet since my BlackBerry Playbook doesn't like to do that sort of thing but one will come once I get home. I like it so far - very thin body but has a good deal of volume and it holds it's tune. I came to Oahu wanting to pickup something that would travel well. I was thinking either a Risa stick soprano or a Kala travel soprano. I went in to Ukulele Puapua to look at the Risa and asked one of the staff there if the Risa could be heard without an amp. I received a one word reply "No" and he picked up a uke and strummed it as he walked away. No effort to qualify me as a customer or show me the instrument at all. With any effort at all he could have sold me a Risa with an amp or sold me something else that would have met my needs.
We had a rental car booked for the next day and took a drive up to Hawaii Music Supply in Haleiwa. I was there last year and bought a Pineapple uke and received great service. They haven't changed, still friendly with great prices and service. I got my travel uke and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a new ukulele.

I am pretty new at this but I started out with the Travel Soprano. I really liked the compact size and the bright sound. I soon realized that I preferred a tenor uke to a soprano, so i got the Kala Travel Tenor and I am really enjoying it.

sorry about your Waikiki experience... but HMS to the rescue.

I still have and use my soprano Travel uke for performances and song circles.

I'm currently taking a couple of Kala laminates (Exotic Mahogany and Spalted Maple)
to my weekly gigs and ukulele lessons.

keep uke'in',

I am pretty new at this but I started out with the Travel Soprano. I really liked the compact size and the bright sound. I soon realized that I preferred a tenor uke to a soprano, so i got the Kala Travel Tenor and I am really enjoying it.
The Kala thinlines have an amazingly bright/loud sound, more than capable of holding their own against regular "fat-bodied" ukes.

My Kala travel tenor has become my go-to uke for meetups because, even in its case, it's thin enough to go in my tote bag (even if it does stick out quite a ways) with my music stand, music books and other stuff, so I only have to carry one item. :cool:

Congrats! Been thinking about getting a sporano travel uke for work....my concert is a little bulky....

I definitely like it so far and it has gotten a couple of compliments at the free uke lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center here in Waikiki. Free lessons, beach and sunshine sure makes me not want to go home in a week.

Bob-in-Alberta, if you're still in Waikiki, please say 'Aloha' to the Aunties at the RHC during the free ukulele lessons.

I missed going back this past Summer, and I usually 'live' at the RHC (between 10 and 11a) on Tues thru Fridays! :)

Mahalo,

keep uke'in',

Consider it done sir.

Bob-in-Alberta, if you're still in Waikiki, please say 'Aloha' to the Aunties at the RHC during the free ukulele lessons.

I missed going back this past Summer, and I usually 'live' at the RHC (between 10 and 11a) on Tues thru Fridays! :)

Mahalo,

keep uke'in',

Bob, the guy at the first store has no concept of making a sale. When I come across someone like that, I immediately decide that they already have too much business so I'm certainly not going to give them mine.

Glad you like your travel Kala. I've been considering one. At a workshop I attended last July, a family of 5 all had those travel Kalas and were really enjoying them.

Top Bottom