is it just me or Worth strings not the same as Koaloha Strings?

tangimango

Reaction score
i know there both flouracarbon strings but compareing the original strings to worth CL or CM they feel,sound, look different. (concert 2013 model)

Very Close but not the same. pretty much closes to the original

the orignal seems more loose and clear in color with high volume. where worth is a hazy clear and play sounds differnt even after breaking in.

maybe its just me. :)

Worth CL seem to be the same as original KoAlohe. Worth even pictures KoAloha in their packaging. Worth CM are not the same. Made mine sound muddy.

When I put Worth Clears,(light tension) on my KoAloha soprano, they sounded duller than KoAloha's stock strings. The closest to their stock strings I've found, IMO, are the Martin 600s.

When I asked Brian at KoAloha what strings they used, he said "Japanese fishing line".

i agree with you there. the cm are not close but the cl are very close to the original even if its say koaloha on the package.
maybe i have a different batch of floura carbon. a hazy clear color. the CL still a little muddy compared to the orignal ones.
Worth CL seem to be the same as original KoAlohe. Worth even pictures KoAloha in their packaging. Worth CM are not the same. Made mine sound muddy.

i know there both flouracarbon strings but compareing the original strings to worth CL or CM they feel,sound, look different. (concert 2013 model)

Very Close but not the same. pretty much closes to the original

the orignal seems more loose and clear in color with high volume. where worth is a hazy clear and play sounds differnt even after breaking in.

maybe its just me. :)

The CD Hard set is my goto set for soprano and concerts. They are clearer compared to the CM and CL. In fact, the CD is the same gauges as the CM but made of a denser material. The first time I tried these I couldn't go back to the CM. The tension is not any higher than the CM so it gives you the best of both worlds.

When I put Worth Clears,(light tension) on my KoAloha soprano, they sounded duller than KoAloha's stock strings. The closest to their stock strings I've found, IMO, are the Martin 600s.

When I asked Brian at KoAloha what strings they used, he said "Japanese fishing line".

i guess im not the only one. all the ukulele shops in hawaii say its worths. so i bought some and they were in fact different. even HMS says its CM.

Back in 2005, KoAloha put Worth strings on their ukes at the factory. The soprano I bought then had Worth browns. I bought a concert direct from the factory in 2006 that also had Worth browns on it. They included an extra set (which is actually 2 due to the length) with my purchase.

I'm not sure exactly when, but they started using the "Japanese fishing line" on all their ukes they strung from the factory. It was just an economical decision. They could buy spools of 1000 ft lengths of whatever gauges they needed, and they couldn't do that with Worth strings. Are they better or worse? That's for you as an individual to decide. They still recommend Worth strings for their ukes, hence the pic of them on the Worth packages. They do not sell the string from the shop that they put on the ukes from the factory. However they do sell Worth's.

Now as far as HMS saying that Worth CM are on KoAlohas. Could be, as they do their own set-up on every uke they sell. They may very well take the factory strings off and re-string them with Worth CMs when they are customizing the 'action' on each uke. I don't know this for a fact, but it would be a question worth asking if you are purchasing from them.

Well Worth's are Japanese fishing line. All fluorocarbon ukulele strings were made as fishing line. There's only a few manufacturers of fluorocarbon fishing line and they're in Japan. My understanding was that KoAloha just bought them in spools from the same factory that Worth does. This I was fairly sure of but gauging and density I had to examine closer. What I found was that the two outer strings G and a are 1-2 thousandths mm thinner on KoAloha than on the CL set. C and E were the same. This is using good digital calipers with no regard to what the worth package says. I will correct the website.

Now as far as material, they appear to me to be the same exact string as the regular tension CM or CL. They are not the same as the CD. Keep in mind that the opacity can be affected with time and play. Figured I would take a shot for what it's worth (not much), using C strings cause there is more to examine-

worth-c-strings-.jpg

So Worth says these 3 strings are all .74mm. KoAloha is smart, they don't say anything. In reality, with these the CM was .72mm, the CL was .70, KoAloha was .70, and the CD was .68. hmmm...

So then I took a few moments and pondered the meaning of life. Then I went back to work.

But I do know how you can get the real KoAloha strings. You guys ready....Buy a new KoAloha! Woohoo!

Top Bottom