PDA

View Full Version : So where can I buy a solid body electric steel string uke nowadays??

masterolive
10-14-2013, 07:02 PM
So recently I sold an expensive guitar. I don't normally do this, I usually keep and collect any instrument I can get my hands on but I dont even play them, I just like them.

Anyways, I have to downsize because I'm moving, so I feel better using some of the money from the guitar to order an electric ukulele like Ive always wanted. (because the uke is the only instrument I know how to play)

I told myself that I would order one form jupiter creek one day, and I just found out that he had passed away and I am very sad to hear this. (we exchanged emails once regarding a possible purchase when I had the $ to do so)

Anyways. I heard that Jupiter Creek made some pretty stout ukes and they where only $200, so I only have about $300 budgeted for a good electric uke.
(and by electric I mean full on steel strings rock and roll electric)

Anyone know where I can order a good uke???(besides the places listed below)

-The Kamoa Evovles are amazing, but I have no clue what their deal is with distribution, and the price is JUST out of reach for me.

-Maandolin sels his electric ukes for over $1,000 so, no.

-Monkey wrench is selling theirs around $800, still out of price range.

-The RISA LP is an option, but I think they are still out of my price range.

-I saw a few small companies but they where all starting at $500.

Jupiter creek was my only option, so I'm hoping you guys know more than I do.

seonachan
10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't know what size you're looking for, but I have a Jupiter Creek baritone listed in the Marketplace for $350.

masterolive
10-14-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't know what size you're looking for, but I have a Jupiter Creek baritone listed in the Marketplace for $350.

oooh.... unfortunately I am looking for a tenor!
But thanks!

I just found a site called Morgan Instruments.
Im emailing him about pricing since nothing is on his site for pricing.

If anyone has any suggestions please comment.

chefy
10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi there,

Those mahalos look like a bargain: http://www.lotus-realm.com/our-shop/mahalo-surfboard-electric-ukulele/#prettyPhoto

and if you are prepared to take a chance the factory that makes the evolve for kamoa sells direct - email them for a price you might be surprised:http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/esu-j58e1-bw-all-solid-tenor-electric-jazz-ukulele.html

Good luck!

masterolive
10-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi there,

Those mahalos look like a bargain: http://www.lotus-realm.com/our-shop/mahalo-surfboard-electric-ukulele/#prettyPhoto

and if you are prepared to take a chance the factory that makes the evolve for kamoa sells direct - email them for a price you might be surprised:http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/esu-j58e1-bw-all-solid-tenor-electric-jazz-ukulele.html

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I sent an inquiry.
I'm still looking around online though, keep up the suggestions!

tangimango
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
ukerepublic kamoa e3 evolve $499

i have both kamoa and risa les paul. the risa hands down high end electric solid body. kamoa comes with a nice case. the risa a crappy paper thin gigbag, pretty much useless.

masterolive
10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
ukerepublic kamoa e3 evolve $499

i have both kamoa and risa les paul. the risa hands down high end electric solid body. kamoa comes with a nice case. the risa a crappy paper thin gigbag, pretty much useless.

I'm confused, are you selling those ukuleles?
I only have $300 budgeted.
(Jupiter creek sold his for around $200. After I saved up today I went to set up a project then discovered the bad news :( )

anthonyg
10-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a Jupiter Creek solid body, Concert size LP style ukulele. I paid $300 for it. UNFORTUNATELY he lowered his prices later on rather than putting his prices up and getting the quality right. I like my Jupiter Creek ukulele. It was sad to hear that he passed away (I came close to buying his last listed ukulele but for some reason didn't), yet, its not proper to judge what other builders charge for their ukulele's based on what he used to charge. They were not properly finished instruments and I don't mean just the paint job which was very basic. I put hundreds of dollars more into mine to make it playable.

Anthony

masterolive
10-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a Jupiter Creek solid body, Concert size LP style ukulele. I paid $300 for it. UNFORTUNATELY he lowered his prices later on rather than putting his prices up and getting the quality right. I like my Jupiter Creek ukulele. It was sad to hear that he passed away (I came close to buying his last listed ukulele but for some reason didn't), yet, its not proper to judge what other builders charge for their ukulele's based on what he used to charge. They were not properly finished instruments and I don't mean just the paint job which was very basic. I put hundreds of dollars more into mine to make it playable.

Anthony

Good to know.
I assumed his instruments where set up with sound quality in mind more than looks, but it seems a give or take.

At this point, I could care less what it looked like, as long as the sound and intonation was pitch perfect, I need a ukulele good enough for recording and possible live play.

I'm hoping I can find something decent for $300, especially if the $300 goes into the sound work instead of "gold and glitter"

(I know its best to just pay big bucks for a Kamoa evolve but I'm just being hopeful on getting lucky, I actually have money saved up for this purpose, this is been on the back burner for 2 years.)

kissing
10-15-2013, 01:15 AM
I've had a Jupiter Creek steel-string in the past.
The finish is a bit crude, but that is explicitly stated in all his listings. I could not fault it as a musical instrument though - my particular one was well setup, electronics worked well and was a joy to play.

Best option for an affordable steel-string electric was probably buying one off me in the UU marketplace where I sold various Risa's and other brand electrics at ridiculous prices, but alas, I've none to sell at the moment.

Risa were working on a cheaper steel-string electric, but I don't know when they are available..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMab7-zars

Perhaps some options that may be within your price range are:

-Konablaster steel string electric
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BSKB-BLUB.htm

-Eleuke/Teton steel string electric?
Just after some quick google (because I'm bored)
http://www.amazon.com/Eleuke-Ukulele-Electric-String-Cutaway/dp/B009MDFX1M

-Generic versions of the Eleuke steel-string branded as Clearwater or Harley Benton?

Such as this one??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-VUV2-Electric-Ukulele-Full-bodied-Steel-strung-Satin-Sunburst-/181234021961?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item2a3263b649&_uhb=1

If I had to go for one of the above, I might go for the Eleuke.

greenie44
10-15-2013, 01:24 AM

Good luck!

I did email them, and the price, including shipping, should be in your ballpark. I have no idea on the reliability of the process, any hassles in getting the uke into the States, or the time it would take, but the price is right.

PhilUSAFRet
10-15-2013, 02:17 AM
This one will be gone in 8 hours....one of the cheapest you'll find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331040972542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_29wt_1177

PhilUSAFRet
10-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Holy crap, I want the brown one at the top of that page!

kissing
10-15-2013, 03:13 AM
That's interesting, they even have an unbranded Kala Jazz uke?!
http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/esu-j12e-f-holes-tenor-arched-top-jazz-ukulele.html

seonachan
10-15-2013, 05:25 AM
This is an unorthodox solution, but you might consider an emando/mandola. There are several in production for under $400. The mandolins would probably be too short a scale if you want a tenor, but the Eastwood Airline mandola has an 18" scale and could easily be strung in uke tuning. It has 8 strings but you could just leave half off, or if you're so inclined it would give you the option of a 6 or 8-string uke. It does have a narrower neck than a typical uke though.

UkeKiddinMe
10-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more options for solid body steel string ukes these days.
The uke market has exploded, and you would think there would be an easy market segment for
solid body steel string ukes. I would surely have one if there was a low end one on the market.

My wish: a Kala SUB UBass shaped solid body, mated to concert and tenor necks,
brought to market with a street of about $300. :)

masterolive
10-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I've had a Jupiter Creek steel-string in the past.
The finish is a bit crude, but that is explicitly stated in all his listings. I could not fault it as a musical instrument though - my particular one was well setup, electronics worked well and was a joy to play.

Best option for an affordable steel-string electric was probably buying one off me in the UU marketplace where I sold various Risa's and other brand electrics at ridiculous prices, but alas, I've none to sell at the moment.

Risa were working on a cheaper steel-string electric, but I don't know when they are available..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMab7-zars

Perhaps some options that may be within your price range are:

-Konablaster steel string electric
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BSKB-BLUB.htm

-Eleuke/Teton steel string electric?
Just after some quick google (because I'm bored)

-Generic versions of the Eleuke steel-string branded as Clearwater or Harley Benton?

Such as this one??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-VUV2-Electric-Ukulele-Full-bodied-Steel-strung-Satin-Sunburst-/181234021961?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item2a3263b649&_uhb=1

If I had to go for one of the above, I might go for the Eleuke.

Wow thanks for this post.
(and to everyone else after!)

It looks like that little Kona Blaster looks AWESOME, I just wish it where a tenor!!!

The Eleukes are not full ukuleles, they are tuned differently, and I heard that they have a learning curve for the chord progression. (?)

Over all, I emailed the guys at east start and they want me to send them $380.00 for the semi hollow.
It looks like an amazing ukulele, but I know nothing about it, and its hard to understand their emails, so Im a little reluctant to buy it.

I would still have to find and extra 80 bucks, and in that case, 100 more could get me a Kamoa Evolve.

I guess Ill just keep slowly saving or hope for a lucky buy of someone generous to sell me a good tenor for $300

The Big Kahuna
10-15-2013, 11:11 AM
tl;dr

Epiphone Mandobird perhaps?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bluegrass/Mandobird-IV.aspx

String and tune it as a Uke, plenty of people have.

anthonyg
10-15-2013, 11:30 AM
The Market just isn't big enough for more steel string ukulele's at the moment. When the instruments that are on the market start selling like hot cakes then other manufacturers will be more interested. Rob struggled to sell many of his Jupiter Creek ukulele's even at a very low price. I watched his auctions. A couple would go fast but many would be re listed several times before they sold. A small custom Builder, Rukavina put up for sale on eBay a VERY nice solid body steel string ukulele but it took a while to sell.

There are a lot of purists on UU who say that a steel string instrument just isn't a ukulele.

Anthony

chefy
10-15-2013, 05:16 PM
The mandobird looks like a great option - nice is the fully adjustable bridge that most of the above cheaper ukes lack.

masterolive
10-15-2013, 07:07 PM
tl;dr

Epiphone Mandobird perhaps?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bluegrass/Mandobird-IV.aspx

String and tune it as a Uke, plenty of people have.

wow... I looked around and there where a few on ebay going for around 200!!

Does anyone have one to sell on here before I buy one somewhere else?

anthonyg
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Mandobirds are cool. Word of caution however. They are very short scale, similar in scale length to a Soprano ukulele and they have VERY narrow necks. All Mandolins have very narrow necks to be honest. You probably should try a mandolin first in person to assess what you think of them.

Anthony

kissing
10-16-2013, 02:31 AM
The Eleukes are not full ukuleles, they are tuned differently, and I heard that they have a learning curve for the chord progression. (?)

This information is completely false. Eleukes are ukuleles, and quite comfortable ones to play.
"Eleuke" is just a brand name, like Kala, Epiphone... I have no idea where you got the notion that they are tuned differently or are not ukuleles (?!)

To be honest, knowing what I know about electric ukuleles (been buying, selling, playing electric ukes for about 8 years now), it would be hard to beat the steel-string Eleuke while keeping in your price range. They're rare too! They were a bit of a limited run.

One risk is quality control, but if there is actually a problem with it, you can probably get it fixed/replaced under warranty.

wow... I looked around and there where a few on ebay going for around 200!!

Does anyone have one to sell on here before I buy one somewhere else?

I would personally avoid the Epiphone Mandobird.
Yes, I owned one for a while. The Mandolin neck is shockingly narrow and uncomfortable to play if you want it to run like a ukulele.
I think you will regret the decision. You won't be buying a ukulele, you'll be buying a mandolin...

And believe me, I've been through many solid-body electric ukuleles in the last 8 years (has been a bit of an obsession):

-Risa Soprano uke-solid
-Risa Concert uke-solid
-Risa Tenor uke-solid
-Risa Soprano uke-solid #2 (geared tuners)

-Risa Les Paul steel-string tenor (humbuckers!)
-Risa regular steel-string tenor (single coil)
-Risa Les Paul steel-string soprano
(I really like the Risa electrics. They are really well made, pleasure to play and sound great.)

-Epiphone steel-string mandobird tuned as ukulele (I found it quite uncomfortable to play)

-Stagg solid-body electric (yuck)

-Jupiter Creek steel-string concert

-Unbranded 8-string stratocaster steel-string electric

-Eleuke Concert electric (old model)
-Eleuke Concert electric #2 (newer model)
-Eleuke Tenor electric
-Eleuke Baritone electric
(I *generally* like Eleukes. They offer a lot of bang for the buck.. but I have also been unlucky with quality control from time to time..)

-Eastwood Warren Ellis steel-string tenor guitar (4-string) tuned as baritone ukulele.
Probably my favourite steel-string electric "uke" I owned. I highly recommend it if you don't mind baritone tuning.

The Big Kahuna
10-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Buy a half size "kid's" electric...there are a lot of Strat copies around, which have a very similar scale length to a Tenor Uke (shop around until you find the closest match). Rip all the hardware off, replace the bridge with the smallest bass bridge you can find, something similar to a precision or jazz bridge would be ideal. Fill the holes in the headstock with dowel then re-drill for 4 tuners. Replace the nut and cut 4 slots. Replace the pickup(s) with single bar style ones.

Hey presto, cheap electric Uke, which will probably be as good as anything, aside from a Risa LP.

The Big Kahuna
10-16-2013, 06:14 AM
In fact, there's a bridge designed for that very thing on here...

http://www.moongazermusic.com/bridges.html

"Electric Tenor Guitar / Electric Ukulele bridge 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" out to out string spacing"

In fact, there's just about everything you need on there, pickups included.

iamesperambient
10-16-2013, 08:14 AM
This information is completely false. Eleukes are ukuleles, and quite comfortable ones to play.
"Eleuke" is just a brand name, like Kala, Epiphone... I have no idea where you got the notion that they are tuned differently or are not ukuleles (?!)

To be honest, knowing what I know about electric ukuleles (been buying, selling, playing electric ukes for about 8 years now), it would be hard to beat the steel-string Eleuke while keeping in your price range. They're rare too! They were a bit of a limited run.

One risk is quality control, but if there is actually a problem with it, you can probably get it fixed/replaced under warranty.

actually I noticed the steel string les paul style eleuke is tuned differently their on amaZon which is the reason I'm avoiding them.

Yes, I owned one for a while. The Mandolin neck is shockingly narrow and uncomfortable to play if you want it to run like a ukulele.
I think you will regret the decision. You won't be buying a ukulele, you'll be buying a mandolin...

And believe me, I've been through many solid-body electric ukuleles in the last 8 years (has been a bit of an obsession):

-Risa Soprano uke-solid
-Risa Concert uke-solid
-Risa Tenor uke-solid

(I really like the Risa electrics. They are really well made, pleasure to play and sound great.)

-Epiphone steel-string mandobird tuned as ukulele (I found it quite uncomfortable to play)

-Eleuke Tenor electric
(I *generally* like Eleukes. They offer a lot of bang for the buck.. but I have also been unlucky with quality control from time to time..)

-Eastwood Warren Ellis steel-string tenor guitar (4-string) tuned as baritone ukulele.
Probably my favourite steel-string electric "uke" I owned. I highly recommend it if you don't mind baritone tuning.

actually the steel string les paul style eleuke is tuned differently there on amazon this is the reason why I'm avoiding them.

chefy
10-16-2013, 05:54 PM

-Risa Soprano uke-solid
-Risa Concert uke-solid
-Risa Tenor uke-solid

-Eleuke Tenor electric

Sorry kissing - I read a previous post where you try to sell one of these mandobirds and you stated on your sale blurb amongst other praise for this instrument: "I just had a jam session with it, and I just knew I couldn't let this one slip, even if it means poverty ! "

So what is it now? Good or Bad?

kissing
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
actually the steel string les paul style eleuke is tuned differently there on amazon this is the reason why I'm avoiding them.

I read the description now, and that is indeed odd;

This steel string uke comes with unique tuning, (bottom to top) 1st stg C, 2nd stg G, 3rd stg D#, 4th stg A#. One and a half steps/notes higher than normal ukuele tuning for a more uke like sound. You will find the highs are very impressive. This alternative tuning is simply one and a half steps higher than traditional A, E, C, G tuning.

Not really sure why they tuned it like that as default, but you are not restricted to using that unsual tuning. Re-tuning it in GCEA is as easy as changing the strings (or depending on the tension of the strings, just tuning it down by one and a half pitch). Still the best option in your price range in my opinion. Minor re-tuning is a really trivial matter for steel-stringed instruments, especially when they're also reinforced with truss rods.

With any electric ukulele, you will eventually run into the issue of finding strings for it anyway. Risa sell a GCEA tuning electric steel-string set for Soprano and Tenor scale, which would work on this uke for the desired tuning; or you can make up your own set using electric guitar strings (Hmmm, perhaps try the 1st-4th strings from a D'addario 10 gauge set).

I'm just trying to help :)

Sorry kissing - I read a previous post where you try to sell one of these mandobirds and you stated on your sale blurb amongst other praise for this instrument: "I just had a jam session with it, and I just knew I couldn't let this one slip, even if it means poverty ! "

So what is it now? Good or Bad?

Lol, I beg your pardon but how long ago from are you digging from?
I had some good times with my Mandobird and sold it for what it is - a well-made Epiphone electric mandolin that can be tuned like a ukulele. At the time, I thought it was adequate, but now I wouldn't buy another one because there are better options.

jimulate
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been looking for a reasonably priced steel-string electric tenor for some time now. I was following up on the Big Kahuna's idea of modifying a short scale guitar and came across this - most are 20-22" scale but the mini Brian May signature is 17"! http://www.gak.co.uk/en/brian-may-brian-may-mini-may-guitar/1325

Just thought it might be of some interest to folks on here!

Cheers,
Jim

The Big Kahuna
10-17-2013, 12:46 AM
That's awesome mate. In fact, it's basically a guitalele. No need to change anything.

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 04:54 AM
I read the description now, and that is indeed odd;

Not really sure why they tuned it like that as default, but you are not restricted to using that unsual tuning. Re-tuning it in GCEA is as easy as changing the strings (or depending on the tension of the strings, just tuning it down by one and a half pitch). Still the best option in your price range in my opinion. Minor re-tuning is a really trivial matter for steel-stringed instruments, especially when they're also reinforced with truss rods.

With any electric ukulele, you will eventually run into the issue of finding strings for it anyway. Risa sell a GCEA tuning electric steel-string set for Soprano and Tenor scale, which would work on this uke for the desired tuning; or you can make up your own set using electric guitar strings (Hmmm, perhaps try the 1st-4th strings from a D'addario 10 gauge set).

I'm just trying to help :)

Lol, I beg your pardon but how long ago from are you digging from?
I had some good times with my Mandobird and sold it for what it is - a well-made Epiphone electric mandolin that can be tuned like a ukulele. At the time, I thought it was adequate, but now I wouldn't buy another one because there are better options.

so risa sells electric steel string sets do they sell them for all 4 sizes? where do you buy them? I always assumed0 people just used guitar strings it would be nice to know that a company makes sorpano, concert, tenor and baritone steel strings too.

sonomajazz
10-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Re the Mahalo mentioned earlier in the thread: Amazon for $118+

http://www.amazon.com/Mahalo-UE-30N-Electric-Ukulele-Bag/dp/B007W2DN3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382023440&sr=8-1&keywords=Mahalo%2BSurfboard%2BElectric%2BUkulele

Anyone know if it's soprano or concert scale?

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Re the Mahalo mentioned earlier in the thread: Amazon for $118+

http://www.amazon.com/Mahalo-UE-30N-Electric-Ukulele-Bag/dp/B007W2DN3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382023440&sr=8-1&keywords=Mahalo%2BSurfboard%2BElectric%2BUkulele

Anyone know if it's soprano or concert scale?

I believe its sorpano it sounds like crap
judging from this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCwVc6JuZs

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 07:36 AM
I believe its sorpano it sounds like crap
judging from this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCwVc6JuZs

actually i watched the full video the very last bit he plays at the last few seconds clean it sounds amazing.
with distortion the strings sound rattley and crappy but playing clean i think this uke is nice sound judging from that.
In all honesty im just not a fan of ukuleles with distortion on them. Some reverb and other effects sound good
but distortion i haven't found any situation where it sounded 'right' on nylon or steel string...just my opinion.

greenie44
10-17-2013, 08:00 AM
In fact, there's a bridge designed for that very thing on here...

http://www.moongazermusic.com/bridges.html

"Electric Tenor Guitar / Electric Ukulele bridge 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" out to out string spacing"

In fact, there's just about everything you need on there, pickups included.

Wow, this gave me an idea. I have this guitar (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daisy-Rock-Debutante-Heartbreaker-Short-Scale-Electric-Guitar-481905-i1395719.gc), bought to encourage my young daughters, just sitting around.

Do you think I could convert it to a uke? It has, I think, 17 frets to the neck. It certainly would be fairly unique.

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Wow, this gave me an idea. I have this guitar (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daisy-Rock-Debutante-Heartbreaker-Short-Scale-Electric-Guitar-481905-i1395719.gc), bought to encourage my young daughters, just sitting around.

Do you think I could convert it to a uke? It has, I think, 17 frets to the neck. It certainly would be fairly unique.

I wouldn't see why not.
I'm sure you could set it up
as a steel string tenor uke.
I would assume all you would
have to do is adjust the bridge
(trus rod if its adjustable)
remove the pegs and switch them
around and put in a new nut. It shouldn't
be to bad, than again i'm not luthier.

seonachan
10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

The scale length on that is 22.5", longer than a baritone, more like a standard tenor guitar. If that's too long for comfort then you could always just set it up for a lower tuning and capo - e.g. keep the regular guitar tuning DGBE and capo @ the 5th fret would get you GCEA at something close to tenor scale.

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 08:35 AM
The scale length on that is 22.5", longer than a baritone, more like a standard tenor guitar. If that's too long for comfort then you could always just set it up for a lower tuning and capo - e.g. keep the regular guitar tuning DGBE and capo @ the 5th fret would get you GCEA at something close to tenor scale.

Ah ya i didn't realize it was that big.
You could always play it as a tenor guitar tuned in
"Chicago tuning" which is also baritone ukulele tuning DGBE
that could work too.

kissing
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
so risa sells electric steel string sets do they sell them for all 4 sizes? where do you buy them? I always assumed0 people just used guitar strings it would be nice to know that a company makes sorpano, concert, tenor and baritone steel strings too.

Risa have steel strings for Soprano and Tenor electrics. Sold on their website: ukulele.de

That being said, they are electric guitar strings..it might be more cost effective to use electric guitar strings locally.

I see that people are playing around with modifying electric guitars. No need!

If you want a really high quality 4-string electric guitar, i highly recommend the Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor electric guitar. It is a really awesome instrument; easily tuned to DGBE.

If you do wish to modify a small guitar, the Epiphone Pee Wee electrics come to mind. Samick Greg Bennet have their version too... theres a website called "Small guitars" that stock a lot if small guitars.

One other option for steel string electric ukes that hasnt been brought up yet is Soarsy guitars:
http://soaresyguitars.com/

Theyre definitely worth a look!

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Risa have steel strings for Soprano and Tenor electrics. Sold on their website: ukulele.de

That being said, they are electric guitar strings..it might be more cost effective to use electric guitar strings locally.

I see that people are playing around with modifying electric guitars. No need!

If you want a really high quality 4-string electric guitar, i highly recommend the Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor electric guitar. It is a really awesome instrument; easily tuned to DGBE.

If you do wish to modify a small guitar, the Epiphone Pee Wee electrics come to mind. Samick Greg Bennet have their version too... theres a website called "Small guitars" that stock a lot if small guitars.

One other option for steel string electric ukes that hasnt been brought up yet is Soarsy guitars:
http://soaresyguitars.com/

Theyre definitely worth a look!

I already made my decision on the uke i will be getting after 12 am tonnight. The only issue is its baritone and the gauge's recommended are 11, 14, 21W, 36W the problem with that is i cant seem to find any 21 W strings anywhere. Would it be possible to use different gauges or do you think that would affect the tuning/sound of the instrument?

kissing
10-17-2013, 07:46 PM
One of the core reasons that steel-string electric instruments are so versatile is that you can use a range of string gauges on them.
People use different gauge strings all the time, ranging from super duper light to heavy depending on their preferences (playability, tone, feel, etc) and even stick to different brands and types of metal alloys used to shape their tone.

It's easier to find strings suitable for a "baritone steel string" electric ukulele than a tenor or soprano, because it's tuned the same as 4 strings of a guitar (DGBE).
In fact, you can even class it as a 4-string short scale guitar. You have a platter of electric guitar string sets to choose from, just throw out the two bass strings.
Sticking strictly to that recommended gauges seems unnecessary and inconvenient. A steel string electric instrument is not such a restrictive instrument, it is one that allows you freedom of selecting from a wide range of strings.

Due to the short scale, you need to use a heavier gauge of electric guitar strings than for standard scale guitars.
Short scales need thicker strings to tune up to the same tunings.

I would personally try 12 or 13 gauge sets. These are often labelled as "medium" and "heavy" gauge for electric guitars, but on a baritone ukulele, it will feel like light gauge.

An 11 set would likely feel "super light".. maybe even a bit too floppy.

On my Eastwood Tenor Guitar, I used the DGBE strings out of a 12-gauge set for a light tension feel and from a 13-gauge set for a light-to-medium feel.
This guitar is 23" scale, while the Konablaster is 22" scale, so it should correspond quite similarly :)

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 09:28 PM
One of the core reasons that steel-string electric instruments are so versatile is that you can use a range of string gauges on them.
People use different gauge strings all the time, ranging from super duper light to heavy depending on their preferences (playability, tone, feel, etc) and even stick to different brands and types of metal alloys used to shape their tone.

It's easier to find strings suitable for a "baritone steel string" electric ukulele than a tenor or soprano, because it's tuned the same as 4 strings of a guitar (DGBE).
In fact, you can even class it as a 4-string short scale guitar. You have a platter of electric guitar string sets to choose from, just throw out the two bass strings.
Sticking strictly to that recommended gauges seems unnecessary and inconvenient. A steel string electric instrument is not such a restrictive instrument, it is one that allows you freedom of selecting from a wide range of strings.

Due to the short scale, you need to use a heavier gauge of electric guitar strings than for standard scale guitars.

I would personally try 12 or 13 gauge sets. These are often labelled as "medium" and "heavy" gauge for electric guitars, but on a baritone ukulele, it will feel like light gauge.

On my Eastwood Tenor Guitar, I used the DGBE strings out of a 12-gauge set for a light tension feel and from a 13-gauge set for a light-to-medium feel.
This guitar is 23" scale, while the Konablaster is 22" scale, so it should correspond quite similarly :)

thanks so much for the info!
you pretty much answered all my questions.
not sure why they strung it with those gauges it seemed odd.
I always like ernie ball strings ill prob try out a 12 gauge of those
once i get the uke :) thanks again!

iamesperambient
10-17-2013, 09:37 PM

one last question being this is a uke still i feel odd using a regular guitar pick but playing typical finger style
like a classic nylon uke i feel will rip my fingers apart with out a pick would it be a horrible crime if i was to use
a regular pick with the konablaster?

kissing
10-18-2013, 02:24 AM
You can use either fingers or a pick. It doesn't matter - people use either on steel-string electric anyway.
There is nothing wrong with using finger-style on a steel string electric - some professionals do it too (eg: Mark Knopfler exclusively uses his fingers for all his guitar playing).

Steel is a bit tougher than nylon on the fingers, but it's probably not as bad as you think.
Electric steel strings are also friendlier on the fingers than acoustic steel strings too.

iamesperambient
10-19-2013, 05:09 AM
You can use either fingers or a pick. It doesn't matter - people use either on steel-string electric anyway.
There is nothing wrong with using finger-style on a steel string electric - some professionals do it too (eg: Mark Knopfler exclusively uses his fingers for all his guitar playing).

Steel is a bit tougher than nylon on the fingers, but it's probably not as bad as you think.
Electric steel strings are also friendlier on the fingers than acoustic steel strings too.

True ya. I have been playing guitar for almost 17 years i think now.
I'm used to metal strings, its more that i heard its offense to use a pick
on a uke but the way i see it is if it has steel strings its a different hybrid instrument
and its ok to use a pick, than again i could be wrong.

blue_knight_usa
10-19-2013, 05:30 AM
So recently I sold an expensive guitar. I don't normally do this, I usually keep and collect any instrument I can get my hands on but I dont even play them, I just like them.

Anyways, I have to downsize because I'm moving, so I feel better using some of the money from the guitar to order an electric ukulele like Ive always wanted. (because the uke is the only instrument I know how to play)

I told myself that I would order one form jupiter creek one day, and I just found out that he had passed away and I am very sad to hear this. (we exchanged emails once regarding a possible purchase when I had the $ to do so)

Anyways. I heard that Jupiter Creek made some pretty stout ukes and they where only $200, so I only have about $300 budgeted for a good electric uke.
(and by electric I mean full on steel strings rock and roll electric)

Anyone know where I can order a good uke???(besides the places listed below)

-The Kamoa Evovles are amazing, but I have no clue what their deal is with distribution, and the price is JUST out of reach for me.

-Maandolin sels his electric ukes for over $1,000 so, no.

-Monkey wrench is selling theirs around $800, still out of price range.

-The RISA LP is an option, but I think they are still out of my price range.

-I saw a few small companies but they where all starting at $500.

Jupiter creek was my only option, so I'm hoping you guys know more than I do.

I ended up with a cherry sunburst Risa LP. The quality is incredible, dual hum buckers and if you love a Les Paul it's like you put one in the dryer for 2 hours and shrunk it. The sounds you can get are amazing. I use mine with my Vox AC30. If you want something to play that you can rock with, I wouldn't get anything else. Especially if you play rock music I did not find anything like the Risa. Also made in Germany and they build this thing tight. For the price, what you get is great and it will be a lifetime instrument. I love playing Pink Floyd, Scorpions, AC/DC. It gets that sound you want. I would save my money and get the RISA. For everything else there's MasterCard!

Good luck on your rock uke hunt.

Tube
10-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Yes, save your money (as I did)...
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60002&d=1382183560

greenie44
10-19-2013, 05:42 AM
I ended up with a cherry sunburst Risa LP. The quality is incredible, dual hum buckers and if you love a Les Paul it's like you put one in the dryer for 2 hours and shrunk it. The sounds you can get are amazing. I use mine with my Vox AC30. If you want something to play that you can rock with, I wouldn't get anything else. Especially if you play rock music I did not find anything like the Risa. Also made in Germany and they build this thing tight. For the price, what you get is great and it will be a lifetime instrument. I love playing Pink Floyd, Scorpions, AC/DC. It gets that sound you want. I would save my money and get the RISA. For everything else there's MasterCard!

Cut it out, Jay - you know I am over UAS!

blue_knight_usa
10-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Cut it out, Jay - you know I am over UAS!

Roflmao! Rick, you really need a RISA for your collection! :-)

blue_knight_usa
10-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Yes, save your money (as I did)...
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60002&d=1382183560

The ultimate! Never selling mine!

iamesperambient
10-19-2013, 07:32 AM
The ultimate! Never selling mine!

the risa's are so nice, i wish i could get one its perfect but its just so much money for me. Maybe one day i'll find one for a cheaper deal on ebay or on here or something.

Geeky666
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

anthonyg
11-21-2013, 12:10 AM

This is an electric Mandolin. About the same scale length as a Soprano ukulele but a very narrow neck. Actually there are a few of these around.

Anthony

tangimango
11-21-2013, 01:03 AM
wow your sunburst is very different from mines. I got mine few months ago tenor model RISA LP. mine is more darker burgundy sunburst. hands the the highest quality solid body ukulele ive seen or played. very immaculate detailed work, down to the screws being exactly aligned with the other screws.

what case are you using, because the gigbag it came with is a joke.

Tootler
11-21-2013, 01:55 AM
If you don't mind nylon strings or something a bit quirky, then the Risa "stick" uke is much more affordable. I have a concert and it cost me about 190 GB. With suitable pedals you can get some superb sounds from it.