Best online store for uke with real set-up

tmanson

Reaction score
Other than Hawaii Music Supply, what are other online uke stores that do a real set-up for you? Other threads say that Zen Ukes doesn't do a full set-up, just a check over without string height adjustment. Some old threads recommend Ebay stores that don't seem to still be in business. Most sites don't say anything about set up.

Looking to buy Cordoba 20cm or 20tm or else Oscar Schmidt OU5 or OU7. Debating whether it would be easier to learn on concert or tenor.

Thank you.
TM

There is no reason for posting this same question in another forum so I'll delete the one in the Ukulele Beginners forum.

I'm doing set-ups for an online dealer, he checks all his stock when they arrive, and sends me the ones that need a set-up.

Say the dealer has a dozen of one model, he checks them all over and has 6 of them set up.
If you ask him to send you one that has been specifically set up, I'm sure he will.

Mainland Ukes, Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic (in alphabetic order).

Three of my ukes were set up by Mim at Mim's Ukes. She did a great job on each of them....

Zenukes does a Basic setup for all ukes, and a Full setup for all $100+ dollar ukes.

I would think there is a price point above which ukes don't need set up by a vendor because they come with level frets, correct action, etc. from the maker. Maybe $500 (LoPrinzi, etc. territory) and higher?

Maybe we need to discuss what a full set up uke is. A set up isn't always needed. But there are times that it is. Many makers offer their stock ukes with higher action so that it can be adjusted.

If you are looking for a Oscar Schmidt or Cordoba, I think you are limiting yourself to a few online dealers. I know Mainland offers the Mainland product only. I don't think that UkeRepublic or Mim sale the two brands you are looking for either...I may be wrong, but not sure.

Ultimately it comes down to what are you wanting. You may have to pony up and pay for a set up on some of your cheaper brands, or just realize that a set-up isn't that hard to perform on your own.

With all that said, I recommend UkeRepublic, Mim, Mainland, HMS, and even elderly as online options. I am not sure if there is a best. I prefer UkeRepublic but that is b/c Mike is a close friend of mine, but if I wanted a mainland, I'd contact Mainland Mike, b/c I consider him a friend as well...Heck even Mim is a friend that I would look at buying from. When I lived 14 miles from UkeRepublic I always went with Mike. Now that I am 4200 miles away I do look at more vendors now.

Last edited:
Are there certain uke brands that don't really need to be set up?

This is a bite I got from the Ohana web site:

"At Ohana, our goal is to provide the highest quality product at a reasonable price. Every ukulele that leaves our warehouse is carefully inspected and set up for maximum playability. Yes that's right — EVERY UKULELE, regardless of model and price. Should musicians compromise on quality just because they need an entry-level ukulele? We don't think they should.

At Ohana, we believe in the basic concepts of QUALITY, PLAYABILITY, and VALUE. As a player you deserve each of these when you purchase a musical instrument."

Are there certain uke brands that don't really need to be set up?

This is a bite I got from the Ohana web site:

"At Ohana, our goal is to provide the highest quality product at a reasonable price. Every ukulele that leaves our warehouse is carefully inspected and set up for maximum playability. Yes that's right — EVERY UKULELE, regardless of model and price. Should musicians compromise on quality just because they need an entry-level ukulele? We don't think they should.

At Ohana, we believe in the basic concepts of QUALITY, PLAYABILITY, and VALUE. As a player you deserve each of these when you purchase a musical instrument."

And I think this is where a set up needs to be defined. I don't doubt Ohana does this. But things shift and settle in transition. Most ukes are set up. But a mass set up and an individual set up are different. I have a Koaloha uke that I am very happy with, however a friend of mine doesn't like it as much. He thinks the action is to high.

Considering the two you mentioned, I'd pick the Cordoba for sound. That being said, aside from the Cordoba, Ohana has equivalent solid topped models and are available from Uke Republic, Mims.........etc., along with other great choices. KPK also in your price range.

+1 to all those who recommended other models. The solid top Cordoba uke that I played at my local Guitar Center sounded bad compared to the all laminate Luna Tattoo. From online video/audio comparisons I've heard, the Oscar Schmit has more of a guitar sound (a tiny teeny guitar that is) and less uke sounding.

There is a reason why popular and reputable online uke sellers/enthusiasts do not normally carry the two brands that you are looking for. For the price range I believe you can do better with a better brand that is being sold by a reputable seller that everyone knows does set-up and will work with you on how you want it to be set up.

Thanks to all of you for the input. That really helps to give me a few more online stores to check out. I'm not limited to Cordoba or OS. Those were just two of the brands I had looked into. I considered a Luna. I did get to try a Tatoo concert in the store, and it just felt a little flimsy. Though the High Tide they had felt very nice. I'll check out the Ohana also. Hey, my kids' cheepo Kala is great, so I'll look at that too. I'm still deciding concert (feels easier to play) vs tenor (sounds nicer to me, less plinky), so I still have work to do. I asked the question about set-up, though, because I can see how important that could be. I've visited 3 stores, and there's a lot of variability and in the action. I figured if set up well, I could get a decent uke for $150 to $200.

Thanks again. Tremendously helpful site.
TM

I don't like to see brands knocked when it's just because they don't happen to be favorites in one place or another. I don't have experience with Cordoba, so really can't comment on the quality other than I have heard reports from owners who seem happy with them. I do have a couple of Oscar Schmidt ukes...first the 8-string tenor, which is a laminate uke and a great bargain. At around $100, the usual reaction is that people can't believe the price is so low, and a very competent musician I know bought one right after trying mine, and is thrilled with it. It never needed a setup, it came with decent string height and good intonation, and is a great player. My other Oscar is a bit pricier, an all-solid quarter-sawn mahogany tenor with beautiful wood, binding, and gloss finish. After most of a year it's in perfect condition, no wavy top or back, perfectly straight neck and even frets, with nice tone and sustain that seems to improve as time goes by; perhaps no better than some of the other brands or models recommended 'instead', but it's a fine uke and they're in the $250 price range. It was not set up by the seller, yet the intonation is absolutely spot on, and I've never had to touch the saddle or nut because there's nothing to improve on, all the way up the fretboard. If anything serious happens, it has a lifetime warranty. I don't know if all of their models come so well-set up, but neither of the ones I own have needed setup, and they don't have anything else to apologize for.

If you can't find the model or brand you're looking for through the 'approved' vendors, as was mentioned earlier, you can buy anywhere and learn to do it yourself, or just take it in if it turns out it needs a setup. Many will, but neither of the two Oscars I have did.

Top Bottom