New Jake Book

itsme

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been mentioned here, but I haven't seen it.

Hal Leonard just released a book to go along with Jake's "Grand Ukulele" CD.

These are the matching transcriptions to Jake's 2012 release produced by Alan Parsons and featuring more amazing uke versions of classic hits and Jake originals. Titles include: Akaka Falls (Ka Wailele O' Akaka) * Fields of Gold * Gentlemandolin * Gone Fishing * Island Fever Blues * Missing Three * More Ukulele * Music Box * 143 * Over the Rainbow * Rolling in the Deep * Ukulele Five-O.
http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Shimabuk...TF8&colid=3AU2DDGV0KEVJ&coliid=I1GEJ8VQM1A1AZ

Seeing as how my Amazon Prime expired, I decided to check out other sellers and the first one said it's in stock for $11 + $3.99 shipping so I went ahead and ordered it. :)

Thanks, I ordered, if nothing else to support this great young artist.

Thanks for notice. :) Another one from Hal Leonard.

I just received my copy. Am happy with the Amazon affiliate that shipped so quickly and with USPS for such a speedy delivery.

Haven't had a chance to try playing anything yet, but my initial impression is disappointment.

This book is advertised as being 96 pages (same as "Peace, Love, Ukulele") but it is only 54 pages. That's a huge reduction in total pages, yet this one costs significantly more?

There is less actual fingerpicking but page after page of repeated chords spelled out for strumming.

It's like Hal Leonard is just cashing in on Jake's name and got his people to sign off on the book for whatever extra revenue it will bring in.

Maybe there'll be a gem or two I'll enjoy playing. Otherwise, yeah, disappointment.

Well I ordered mine I hope at least there are 1-2 correctly transcribed tunes.

Thanks for the heads up. I had worked out Gentlemandolin from watching videos and help from a wonderful player on this very site.

That said, is it just pages of chords or actual transcriptions for instance, is music box all tabbed out? Maybe I'll see if the local music store gets it so I can look at it before I buy it.

Thanks for the heads up. I had worked out Gentlemandolin from watching videos and help from a wonderful player on this very site.

That said, is it just pages of chords or actual transcriptions for instance, is music box all tabbed out? Maybe I'll see if the local music store gets it so I can look at it before I buy it.
Yes, the songs are all transcribed/tabbed out.

What I meant by chords spelled out for strumming is more like the attachment below. (Sorry about the crappy scan... first time using this new printer/scanner.)

Attachments

• Jake143.jpg
    Jake143.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 56
Thanks, 143 is like that in PLU book, I really wanted to see Gentlemandolin and Music Box. I'll order it and see, for $11.00 it's a good price. I tried the seller you mentioned, amazon wanted $20 for it.

All the tabs seem pretty accurate to me-- two thumbs up! I want more Jake tab books and am all for this/happy to pony up the cash. I really want some official transcriptions of Thriller and Let's Dance. His last tab book was perfectly done, and most of the songs were surprisingly doable by the average moderately proficient uke player.

Similar to the earlier Hal Leonard book for Peace, Love + Ukulele, this set of tabs and standard notation accurately transcribes Jake's wonderful music very well.
While the songs on Grand Ukulele are generally easier to play and the arrangements more simplistic than on his previous album PLU, I feel like the transcriber has improved the accuracy for voicings and fingerings this time- to me, the tabs have less of a guitar feel and more of a native uke design.

Get the book, support Jake and spread the Aloha!

Got the book some days ago it is excellent. Some tabs are not difficult, this is a lot more accessible than peace love ukulele.

Thank you so much for posting this.
I did a thorough search some time ago in my quest to find this book, but without luck.

Just ordered this.
I hope there's some very advanced pieces in the book. Much like peace love and ukulele.
But my overall impression with the CD is that the songs are a bit easier.

I hope there's some very advanced pieces in the book. Much like peace love and ukulele.
But my overall impression with the CD is that the songs are a bit easier.

Don't worry, more than half of the tabs are for advanced players.

Top Bottom