Kamaka strings vs Femont Black Line

Dwave

Reaction score
I've been trying out Kamaka strings on my Kamaka tenor for about two months and thought I would now try the Freemont Black Lines. I really love these Black Lines; brighter, smooth and great sustain however they are so thin compared to the Kamaka strings. I like the Kamaka strings but was not happy with the sustain. Is there a string a little thicker somewhere in between the thick Kamaka'a and the thin Black Lines with similar characteristics of the Black Lines?

I just replaced the Kamaka strings on my new Kamaka Deluxe tenor with Savarez Alliance and the difference is undeniable. Much more crispness and clarity, especially in the low end. More volume as well. And they will be easier on your fingers compared to the Blacklines.

I just replaced the Kamaka strings on my new Kamaka Deluxe tenor with Savarez Alliance and the difference is undeniable. Much more crispness and clarity, especially in the low end. More volume as well. And they will be easier on your fingers compared to the Blacklines.

Hey thanks, I never would have looked at those. They seem thick too, how does the diameter compare to the Kamakas? Do you know the diameter of the Kamaka strings?

Hey thanks, I never would have looked at those. They seem thick too, how does the diameter compare to the Kamakas? Do you know the diameter of the Kamaka strings?

I don't know the specific diameters of the Kamaka(D'addarrio) strings, but I would say that they are similar in feel to the Savarez. I put some Freemont Blacklines on my KoAloha tenor about three years ago, and I liked the crisp sound. But the thin diameter coupled with the high tension of the tenor scale made it difficult for me to play for long, extended periods of time. I thought that the Kamaka strings had a smooth almost waxy feel to them. And the Savarez also have a nice feel to them. BTW, I get mine at www.stringsbymail.com.

On my Kamaka soprano and concert I've gone from Aquilas, to Fremont Blacklines, to Martin M600s, and have now settled on D'Addario Nyltechs. The Nyltechs are thicker than the Fremonts (and MUCH easier on the fingers) and on my small ukes they seem to have the best sustain of any strings I've tried.

Top Bottom