PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Uke coming along

lcbullullock
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Man, I see all these posts about "my first uke" and then they look as if they've come from a fine woodworking article. Mine will look pretty spooky, so that's why I've named them that way.

I began with an interest and then graduated to an itch and then started buying tools, and then I thought, "Well, you shouldn't buy expensive wood to start out" so I just found some scrap that was nice looking, but not expensive: some redwood, some pine, real luthiers would probably cringe. But I've done all right. Not perfect, but I've learned as I've made mistakes and even made some of the mistakes work to my advantage (or as much of an advantage as they can). I'm starting out copying the Martin sporano model, because, well, hey--Martin. Plus, it's pretty easy to find people who've made the body molds and plexiglas templates for the Martin soprano style. I'm still quite a ways from being a designer.

I suppose I'd just like to throw that out there for all the others who may be reading this forum who might be in similar situations and wondering, "Damn, am I doing this right?" Take it from me, if you wake up thinking about how you're going to construct a certain jig, or figure out a certain technique in a dream, you're doing it right. If you're looking at your young uke and thinking, "I'll bet I can find the spirit in this and bring it out," you're doing it right. Just keep doing it. Building an instrument is spirit enobling. And fun. Don't force it. Don't "quick-build". Easy does it. If you feel frustrated, go take a walk. Why not. Then come back later. Trust me, that's probably the best building advice I could ever give you. And the only, considering I'm green. Also, thanks to all the great builders here whose ideas I am stealing. You are the best.

So, I'll be building a couple more "scrap wood" ukes to get better at the processes (by the way, redwood bends pretty well if you're patient, I found), and then I'm going for the pricier stuff. I'm looking forward to that.

Lawrence Bullock
Spooky Ukes

Kdogg
10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Whats that old saying ? "pictures or it didn't happen" Just kidding,sounds like your having fun with your project. Thats something I'd like to try someday...

ksquine
10-16-2013, 07:40 AM
I want to see what a "spooky" uke looks like.