Ohana Baritone : BK20 v BK35?

capyboppy

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was wanting a Mainland red cedar wood baritone, but Mainland doesn't seem to be producing them at the moment according to Eagle Music (UK). I am torn between getting the concert or even soprano instead but that would leave me still without a baritone which was my original aim. Sadly I am still under the spell of UAS:eek:

I have toyed with the idea of compromising and getting the Ohana BK20 as the middle option, as I don't know how much I will 'take' to the baritone. I am presuming I will as an ex-guitar player. Do any of you have any experience of these two models and how much difference there is in them? For those who don't know, the BK20 has solid wood top with laminated sides and back; the BK35 is all solid wood. Would there be that much difference in the sound? Particularly long term?

I would rather have a solid wood instrument, but I know occasionally a gem comes along that is just as good. Thoughts?

If you're not sure you'll take to the bari, why not go cheap to start? I have one for sale still (see the link in my signature)

Last edited:
When I play the baritone, I use the KB-35. I very much like the solid wood sound. If it is solid you want, I would suggest that you don't go for the BK-20. It is a great instrument, but if you really want solid, whether you will take to it long-term or not, don't go for laminate.

By the way, I did a review on it. I have posted it below. I like to think that I am honest, but do keep in mind that I work for Ohana.

I would talk to the guys at southern ukulele store, eagle just don't carry much stock every time I spoke to them they hadn't got what was on the website,
sus stock an amazing amount of instruments, I have had six ukes of them and have been very well looked after every time, eagle is probably an excellent banjo
store.
all the best.

I know it's not the same animal, but I have an Ohana SK300 sop solid koa top, sides, back, and when I was at the store, they also had an SK200 solid koa top, laminated sides and back. The 300 with solid wood throughout had a more complex open sound that caught my ear. The 200 with laminate just didn't have the same effect on me. the difference wasn't huge, but I could notice it. Having said that, if I hadn't had the 300 to compare, I'm guessing I still would have liked the 200. Hope this adds to your thoughts.

Top Bottom