Mountain Biking

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
Thought I'd see if there were any 'ukulele players who also enjoy mountain biking. This could be a cool place to post bike pictures and stokage about riding.

I just scored a 2008 Intense Slopestyle on Craigslist so I'm very excited about the sport for the first time since moving to Honoka'a. It's been well used, but still in solid shape.

intense.jpg

It's torn apart in the shop right now to replace the bottom bracket and suspension bearings. I'm going to have my bike guy put some matching red pedals on it. :cool: Can't wait to get it back and go fly off of things!

Post up your rides!

I ride single speed mountain bikes, like my Redline Monocog, or my Bianchi CUSS (that looks like this one). bianchicussEfs.JPG

Good luck with your new machine, Brad. New bearing and grease job and it'll fly.

I ride a Trek Fuel EX9. I'll post pic if I can find one.

Aloha

Mountain biking is my other passion. In Santa Barbara we have several group rides. Wednesday and Friday evenings we meet up in town, and then pedal to the trails, and then pedal back to town. We pedal year round, unless it is raining. Lights are a must from October to April. Rides start at 6p and last 2-4 hours. Here's a link to some of ride videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpecies22/videos

Keep pedaling and strumming,

Kent

Awesome! There are some riders on here!

Here's a link to a video of one of our weekly group rides on Whidbey Island. We have about 35 miles of trails in Ft. Ebey State Park and adjoining county land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmtrGyYVgg

I think 35 miles is more than all of our trails put together here on Hawai'i Island if you exclude Mana Road. Great looking stuff. Totally jealous!

I ride single speed mountain bikes, like my Redline Monocog, or my Bianchi CUSS (that looks like this one). View attachment 59904

I hope yours is the same color! That's so old school. I love it. I've thought a lot about converting one of my old bikes to single speed, but it's always down AND up of here (mauka to makai... and back mauka...). Maybe someday I'll man up and convert.

I ride a Trek Fuel EX9. I'll post pic if I can find one.

Please do! I've heard great things about them.

...Here's a link to some of ride videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpecies22/videos...

Love the looks of the "coopie" trail. Does the dog always go with you?

Aloha

We have a lot of trail options in Santa Barbara. It's a 3-7 mile pedal to the trail-heads from town. And then it becomes an almost endless assortment of trails. Singletrack and fire road. SB is for the intermediate to expert only, even then it tends to be expert category for most. But excellent fun, day or night. Back country trails behind SB have another 60-80 miles of even more trails.

That dog is fast, and can handle gnarly single track with ease.

Keep strumming, and pedaling

Kent

I've got a couple of ancient hard tail mtn bikes that I ride off road now and again, but for the last few years I've been bitten by the road bike bug. I've been fortunate enough to average 5,700 miles over the last 4 years on my Lynskey Ti. My cardio is in awesome shape, but I'm afraid my off road skills have suffered!

That's a lot of miles! Good for you. I wish I could power out distance like that. It would save a lot of gas for sure!

Put in some hours at the local bike shop today. I'm sort of interning, learning the trade. Replaced some shifter cables, added a granny gear to a SS bike, and did some general tuning. It's amazing how sophisticated mountain bike equipment has gotten over the years.

just moved to North central WA and there are tons of Mtn bike trails. thinking of buying a bike, leasning towards a hardtail, is that a mistake?

Back in the late 80s and early 90s mountain biking was my passion. For a while I lived in Hayward right next to Garin Regional Park. I came across an abandoned ranch road that snaked its way up a heavily wooded canyon. For the next year I began clearing the brush and fallen trees, and created about 4 miles of my own private mountain bike trail. Eventually, other hikers and bikers discovered it. After I moved, it fell out of use, and has since grown over again.

just moved to North central WA and there are tons of Mtn bike trails. thinking of buying a bike, leasning towards a hardtail, is that a mistake?

I was just in Washington and wish I had brought my bike!

Probably not a mistake. I've had my Specialized Hardrock for years riding singletrack trails and I never really "needed" full suspension (still don't!). You can do a lot with a hardtail if you are determined. But that said, hardtail is going to be "best" at this kind of trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aszc2f_RLWY. If you want to fly off things and race downhill you'll probably want full suspension. Of course, if your wallet is padded and you want a plush ride, you could get a smaller travel FS trail bike too. It all depends on what you want to ride. Hardtail is a great place to start if you haven't had much biking experience.

Where I ride in western Washington the trails are pretty rough with roots & rocks. Most of my riding buddies and I are on dualies. If you're young, a hardtail is OK. I bought my dual suspension around the time I turned 50 and would never go back to a hardtail.

Last edited:
Where I ride in western Washington the trails are pretty rough with roots & rocks. Most of my riding buddies and I are on dualies. If you're young, a hardtail is OK. I bought my dual suspension around the time I turned 50 and would never go back to a hardtail.
I'm an old 58, so maybe I need a dual too.

Top Bottom