How old were you when you started playing the uke?

For a poll "under 25" is to imprecise. There's a big difference if someone starts with 24, or with 4. ;)

I originally picked it up as something to just play with around the house. a number of gigs later (as a solo artist and sideman) and now it's something I'm known for and take pride in my continual learning.

I was 56. Wish I could have started at 55. :)

Last edited:
under 25?

25-30?

30-40?

40-50?

over 50?

I'm going to be 32 in jan....i started 10 years ago
so i was about 21 almost 22 when i started playing uke.

It was a gift from my wife for my 40th birthday. I don't think she expected it would be a life changer for me, but it certainly has. :)

Started at 58 after I retired. I wish I had started sooner but working f/t and having 6 kids. I don't know if I would have really found the time to play and enjoy my uke. I probably would have felt guilty, like I should be doing a chore.

I first got one for my 7th birthday, but learned informally from my dad and did not really take it seriously. By 10 I had abandoned it for guitar, piano, and bass, all of which I failed miserably at.

In my early 40s, I picked up the uke again, and this time it took, and there's been no looking back. Maybe by the time I'm 50 I'll even been good at it :)

40-50 when I started. OK, I was exactly 50.

I would like to be a decent player by 60.
( I also would like to be rich, good looking, and living in Hawaii. :D Probably none of these will happen.)

6th grade, about 11-12, Ali'iolani Elementary, Honolulu, Mrs Wong!! :)

Been playing ever since... mostly strumming and singing... like now :)

keep uke'in',

PS 6th grade was back in 1960.

52...after decades of banging on the electric bass (the other four-stringer).

Top Bottom