Bay area ukulele

As you know the Bay Area (I assume you mean SF Bay Area) has many microclimates. That being said I honestly don't see why you'd need a humidifier (again I'm assuming for your ukes) in any of them. I'm no expert though. I only have one uke and a couple of guitars as reference, and none of them are very high end.
---

That being said I just read a review on Pono ukes that suggest you always get a humidifier, and one site that includes the humidifier with purchase of a Pono. I will need to look into this because it seems like a pain for a low to mid range instrument.

Last edited:
I live in the South Bay; I just looked at the humidity and it's 40% which is fairly typical. I don't use a humidifier unless I've got a uke in the car.

I don't use one either.

if you use your heater in the winter and your RH goes below 40% you should use a humidifier...and if it goes over 70% you should watch how your uke changes...maybe keep it in the case when not playing it...

OUTDOOR humidity really doesn't matter. It's the humidity in your ukulele's living space that you have to worry about. If you use a dry heat in the wintrer, or air conditioning in the summer (i.e., in the East Bay), you should monitor the INDOOR humidity and use a humidifier if the indoor humidity is low.

I keep a hygrometer near my ukes. I have the heat on at night and I've been noticing the low has been around 35% the last 2 days, so I just filled up my humidifiers tonight. Better safe than sorry. I don't use them as long as the humidity stays above 40%, which is spring through usually late fall for me.

Thank you all! I'm just waiting on my uke tO get here. Got some home made humidifiers ready to be filled if need be.:)

Don't use one. Been told we don't need them out here, especially if you live by the coast.

Top Bottom