Suggestions moving from Soprano to Concert or Tenor

steel rider

Reaction score
Hi UU family. I've been playing for only about six months now. I went to an ukulele lesson (which was just OK but not on topic) and heard the huge sound coming out of everyone's tenor ukes. I have a wonderful Mainland soprano. So I'm thinking of going bigger.

Went to my local store today and tried some tenor and concert ukes. Their selection was limited (Kala, Snail, Mainland, cheapo) and I only really liked the Mainland - -probably because it sounded most like mine in tone.

I noticed all the tenor ukes,except for the Mainland, had a wide body compared to my little soprano. They felt uncomfortable so I'm leaning towards a concert for comfort but feel like I want to go to a big tenor - more frets and much more different than what I already have.

Are there other brands that make a "less widebody" tenor? Also, are the frets further apart on the tenor or is it my imagination?

Any suggestions? I'm looking in the $300 range and will play a bigger variety of ukes next week.

Thanks
PS: I am glad I didn't just buy a Fluke tenor online. I'm going to go play one next week but I hear they are a bit widebody also. True?

Sorry. Just noticed there is a forum for uke purchasing advice. My bad but I don't seem to be able to move this thread there.

concert is the perfect size for anyone who thinks tenor is just a tad to big.
its a little larger fret wise so its easier to hold down chords, it has a slightly
bigger sound than soprano and slightly deeper sound its a perfect middle ground.

I have my eye set on a gretsch resonator concert which will give you all the benefits
of the concert but with the resonator it will be even louder and give it a nice bright sound.
its i think 249 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-G9112-Resonator-Ukelele-Natural/dp/B00B3DXHQ2
theres videos of it online and it sounds great! i'm totally going to get one soonish (being 300 is the max i could ever
afford on anything) this is perfect!

Yeah I think I'm feelin you on the concert size based on my experience. I'm a solid beginner but really fumbled on the tenors while the concerts were easy to play.
I'm looking at Pono for the $300ish range. I could be swayed to spend $400 but beyond that it becomes something I worry about rather than have fun with.

The resonator is interesting indeed. That would stand out!

Yeah I think I'm feelin you on the concert size based on my experience. I'm a solid beginner but really fumbled on the tenors while the concerts were easy to play.
I'm looking at Pono for the $300ish range. I could be swayed to spend $400 but beyond that it becomes something I worry about rather than have fun with.

The resonator is interesting indeed. That would stand out!

Nice. Yes i love resonators i really need one in my collection soon. you can always get a standard concert than later on get a resonator too :D

I recently bought an Oscar Schmidt OU-8-TICE tenor cutaway spalted maple open box on eBay/ProAudioStar for $169, normally around $350. The first thing I noticed was that the body was a little smaller than the other tenors I have. Sounds pretty good too.

u4OscarSchmidt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom