Installing bridge?

Vegas

Reaction score
Prepping for first build. How can you accurately attach the bridge to the body so the strings remain straight?

*edit*
I worded this wrong. How can I accurately position and attach the bridge so that it is perpendicular to the neck so that the strings will be parallel to the neck?

Last edited:
You should ask this question when you are ready to glue on the bridge.
Are you ready to glue on the bridge?

If I were to ask this question when I'm ready to glue then I'd be wasting time waiting for an answer.

unless the bridge pops off, then they will be all floppy and not straight....

go to this website...buy the instruction manual....how can you build a uke not knowing what to do....

good luck...

www.hanalima.com

I use masking tape to cover the top where the bridge will be. Then I can pencil in the center line and bridge outline....VERY LIGHT pressure on the pencil. Add a centerline mark on the bridge front and back. Then I cut along the outline with a razor and expose the top under the bridge. Scrape off the finish and glue the bridge in place. Check the centerlines to make sure you stay straight while clamping.

I guess I worded that question a little wrong. When I posted this thread I didn't really know how to word my actual question heh.

But I really wanted to know was how to position the bridge to be completely perpendicular to the fingerboard and neck, so the strings would remain parallel to the fingerboard and neck.

go to this website...buy the instruction manual....how can you build a uke not knowing what to do....

good luck...

www.hanalima.com

I haven't built an uke. That is why I am asking how to do a certain thing. I've looked at various videos and websites on building ukuleles but haven't even seen how they position the bridge where the strings will remain parallel to the fingerboard.

You can build a simple jig, a strip of thin wood, looks a bit like a "T", the width of the fretboard, and is square on the bridge end. Push the bridge up to the square end of the jig, to position it.

I don't do it this way, I use a 18" rule and string to position the bridge, measuring to the center of the saddle slot, and lay masking tape around the bridge to mark the footprint, then scrape away the finish almost to the edge of the tape.
When you are ready to glue, wipe glue in the footprint, and the tape will hold the bridge in the footprint. When the clamp is set, remove the tape and clean the glue squeeze-out.

Top Bottom