Forearm muscle strain?

Captain America

Reaction score
Anyone get a little tightness and pain in the upper forearm muscle near the elbow from ukin?

Either way it's tension... Stop when you feel it, warm up, take breaks and give it time....

After 5 years of classical guitar, my arms and hands finally developed enough that I can play for long periods without any aches and pains but you have to be careful and let time do it's thing.

The no pain no gain thing is a sure thing for injury!

Good luck

Funny that you should post this, cuz for the past few days my strumming arm all around the elbow is killing me. I play several hours a day but maybe I've been playing a little more than usual. Hands and wrists keep fine, just that whole area from just a little below to a little above my elbow hurts. I'm thinking it's like tennis elbow. Can't stop ukeing but I'm gonna try to cut back a bit for a few days. Old age..ain't for sissies!

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Don't do that ..."

Probably it's just some mild RSI, and you RICE it -- Rest, Ice, compression, Elevation. NSAID for pain and all, but pain serves a function, which is to tell you something is injured. Better ease off, and if it doesn't get better, get it checked by a qualified medic. Diagnosis and treatment over the internet can be iffy ...

Steve

Yes. I get it in my fretting arm. Seems not to happen as often as it used to.

Some players, especially new ones, use their arm too much when they strum. With their fretting hand, they press too hard on the strings and "cock" their hand/wrist at an uncomfortable angle. Many of these symptoms disappear with experience, improved technique, strengthening of the muscles in the arm, wrist area, hands and fingers.

Relaxation is the key. Throughout the 40+ years that I have played and studied piano, I have come to understand that relaxation must come first. The more you manage to relax, the easier playing will get.

Top Bottom