PDA

View Full Version : Forearm muscle strain?

Captain America
10-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Anyone get a little tightness and pain in the upper forearm muscle near the elbow from ukin?

prooftheory
10-18-2013, 06:18 AM
In the strumming arm or the fretting arm?

Olarte
10-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Either way it's tension... Stop when you feel it, warm up, take breaks and give it time....

After 5 years of classical guitar, my arms and hands finally developed enough that I can play for long periods without any aches and pains but you have to be careful and let time do it's thing.

The no pain no gain thing is a sure thing for injury!

Good luck

insula
10-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Sounds like you might have a tennis/golf/ukulele elbow issue brewing-don't ignore it. Here are some stretches that I've found very helpful-also the obvious-rest, ice, taking breaks from strumming:

http://pedalsandeffects.com/stretching-and-warming-up-for-all-musicians/

bunnyf
10-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Funny that you should post this, cuz for the past few days my strumming arm all around the elbow is killing me. I play several hours a day but maybe I've been playing a little more than usual. Hands and wrists keep fine, just that whole area from just a little below to a little above my elbow hurts. I'm thinking it's like tennis elbow. Can't stop ukeing but I'm gonna try to cut back a bit for a few days. Old age..ain't for sissies!

Steveperrywriter
10-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Don't do that ..."

Probably it's just some mild RSI, and you RICE it -- Rest, Ice, compression, Elevation. NSAID for pain and all, but pain serves a function, which is to tell you something is injured. Better ease off, and if it doesn't get better, get it checked by a qualified medic. Diagnosis and treatment over the internet can be iffy ...

Steve

kmac66
10-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Yes. I get it in my fretting arm. Seems not to happen as often as it used to.

PhilUSAFRet
10-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Some players, especially new ones, use their arm too much when they strum. With their fretting hand, they press too hard on the strings and "cock" their hand/wrist at an uncomfortable angle. Many of these symptoms disappear with experience, improved technique, strengthening of the muscles in the arm, wrist area, hands and fingers.

drbekken
10-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Relaxation is the key. Throughout the 40+ years that I have played and studied piano, I have come to understand that relaxation must come first. The more you manage to relax, the easier playing will get.