How to start a Ukulele shop...importing with custom logo, etc.

flyingace

Reaction score
I have long thought about opening a small kiosk or shop selling ukes around my area but also doing some web sales as well.

How does one get started finding the companies to import custom logo ukes set up to my specs.

I'd like to eventually become a builder but I have to find an income away from my current job first, then I can concentrate on setting up a wood shop and learning how to build them. I have some experience with building guitars and woodworking in general. I know it's a long long road to excellence and hard work too.

But I'm tired of working for people I don't like to make them money, I'm ready to retire in the next 10 years and would like to get something set up and started now while I'm young and enthusiastic.

Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!

will be watching this thread! Good question.

Start small. I'd guess you would have to have some type of seller's reputation before you could get lined up with spec work.
Do you know how to do set-ups? Important part of the equation.

Don't be surprised if shop owners don't jump to help on this. What worked for them may not work for you. And, it may just be me, but helping the competition? Especially if you are gonna do on-line selling. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:
Is there actually a market for ukuleles in the Central Arkansas region that isn't being served by Guitar Center/Amazon/Wallmart at the low end and Mims/HMS/etc for everyone else?

Don't be surprised if shop owners don't jump to help on this. What worked for them may not work for you. And, it may just be me, but helping the competition? Especially if you are gonna do on-line selling. I could be wrong, though.

No you are quite right. Not just the uke business but most any other business as well. People spent a lot of time, energy and expense to develop relationships with vendors and associates, and to just willy nilly give out that info so someone can shortcut the process and compete with them is not good business practice.

Is there actually a market for ukuleles in the Central Arkansas region that isn't being served by Guitar Center/Amazon/Wallmart at the low end and Mims/HMS/etc for everyone else?

Probably the same Guitar Center/Amazon/Walmart that services Amherst NY I would think

No you are quite right. Not just the uke business but most any other business as well. People spent a lot of time, energy and expense to develop relationships with vendors and associates, and to just willy nilly give out that info so someone can shortcut the process and compete with them is not good business practice.

Sometimes a good competitor can help both businesses grow by creating more demand and excitement.
In the case of a ukulele shop, more players mean more sales for all.
Look at a shopping mall, multiple shoe, jewelry & clothing stores.

Sometimes a good competitor can help both businesses grow by creating more demand and excitement.
I can only speak from experience with Meals on Wheels, because that is my job. BUT..my program has competitors. We deliver a hot meal Monday through Friday. Our competitors send weekly or bi-weekly frozen meals. Not quite the same product, but you can bet I do NOT help them out. I know about them, but I don't know way too much. This is on purpose. I am not going to help a potential client find another source. (That being said, i have been known to share info with social workers if the fit with us is not right.). If I am going to do that I might as well shut our doors.
I'm sorry, I just don't think on-line retailers will want to help. It doesn't help them at all. And what would happen if the advice was taken and it blew up in the new vendor's face? Nope..seems better to figure it out yourself.

Vietnam is a huge source for many folks doing production instruments with their own labels not to mention China. You can research those companies. China has a NAMM equivalent which if I were going to do this seriously I would attend those events. Is a business write off:). I had a product manufactured in China that I patented And if you do not have strict quality control, you will get garbage, shortcuts and headaches. If you are not there to start it and do not have a relationship it will be tough. There are some big manufactures that make most of the ukes in China. Like VCRs in the old days. Only three companies made them for everyone. There are more than three places but you have to do your research and find what you want, price points you want to hit. It's a tough business and tons of competition now. Good luck on your endeavor.

Darn I miss Betamax!

Perhaps, But with more people out there selling the same thing, it's less share for everyone. Called flooding the market. Can be good for the consumer, but puts a lot of pressure on resellers and manufacturers. I personally wouldn't divulge my company trade secrets.

That's my point. I don't think a shop for ukes would stay in business here.

Sorry, I didn't get that was what your point was.. Little Rock is smack dab in the middle of Central AR. Metro population of over 700,000. I would think a Uke shop would do as well there as just about anywhere, no?

Anyway, good luck to the OP

I had a web inquiry on my non-uke related web site this morning. A guy said that he wants to start selling the same products as me but wanted to know where I bought them and how much I paid. He also wanted me to provide installation and service guides to him. I filed his email. I'll be sure to get back to him real soon.

Thanks all! Great responses and plenty of food for thought. I wish I had more free time right now but with raising two teen daughters and my full-time job, it's hard to devote the time necessary. BUT that said, i can start the leg work now.

There are two independent guitar tech/used shops here in central little rock that sell a uke or two. One of them doesn't know much but purports to. There is a very very unscrupulous place in conway called Jacks that will steal your money with a smile on their faces selling 2nds and crap. Although they do carry some kala and oscar schmidt. but usually only the cheapest ones.

As far as inventory, i'm not sure how to work it. I think operating from your home and online is the best way to start, then work up to making a big order for quality instruments (maybe, I've heard the nightmares dealing with overseas companies, Bushman is a good example of what not to do back in 2008 when they couldn't keep up with demand). Used market, buy cheap, sell for a little over market.

YES, I do set ups. Just last night I put a new saddle in my Kala Acacia Tenor, the one I installed a Belcat preamp and pickup in. I'm not afraid of hand making bone nuts and saddles. My ukes intonate perfectly every time. I know how and I've spend the time building electric guitars from scratch and parts for the past few years to learn how to do it. I hate the painting/finish stage though. Fumes are terrible! I'd rather not do that.

I'd also like to use my 20+ years as a graphic designer working for advertising and marketing agencies (and myself) to market the uke (I do websites, social media and print) in this market. I'd like to set up a Uke Orchestra. I'd like to talk to our local schools and symphony orchestra about getting involved in the community. As well as local festivals to play and sell. It might all be more work that I want to do, but at least it would be doing work I love!

I think my first step is to ramp up my buying and selling as well as finding others that want to do the local orchestra. Then I'll see where to go after that. In the meantime I'm thinking about going back to school to complete my degree and add some business courses to learn how to set up the biz side.

Thanks all again, I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

I'm acquainted with some OEM manufacturers, be glad to connect you. Just drop me a line on my personal email: tan.terence@gmail.com

China has a NAMM equivalent which if I were going to do this seriously I would attend those events. Is a business write off:). I had a product manufactured in China that I patented And if you do not have strict quality control, you will get garbage, shortcuts and headaches. If you are not there to start it and do not have a relationship it will be tough. There are some big manufactures that make most of the ukes in China. Only three companies made them for everyone. There are more than three places but you have to do your research and find what you want, price points you want to hit. It's a tough business and tons of competition now.

Yes, I just attended the China NAMM equivalent last week. It is held annually in Shanghai, an hour and a half flight from where I live - Xiamen, China. I posted twice about it here, but no one responded. (See "Daniel Ho and Like a Kid in a Candy Store" and "Music China Expo".) My (Chinese)wife and brother-in-law have started selling ukes at their music shops here in Xiamen, and I want to help them develop their ukulele sales.

I have stumbled onto Pac rim web sites in the past of manufacturers willing to make ukes and other instruments with whatever name you desire.

I don't know dude, the internet is already glutted with ukulele "experts" two steps ahead of you. Nevertheless, I will give you the key and wish you the best. Ready? Here it is-

Success in this business is based on your ability to benefit the customer with your expertise and hard work.

Look inside at what you have to offer. Marketing isn't a benefit. You can't buy it from a Chinese factory.The right way isn't lucrative, but good luck anyway.

Top Bottom